macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Question about 3rd Party plugs...
    Hey Rounik, I did have a quick question about 3rd party plugs using Logic in 64-bit on my new machine. I ran one of my synths from the channel i/o and it worked, but a window popped up that asked me to click on it to activate the plug in. I did so, and there it was, but when I tried to close the prompt window, the synth closed as well. Is this normal? Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Question about 3rd Party plugs...
    Hi Jamie, Which plug-in? Some plugins require authorisation on a new machine (like Spectrasonics plugins) and will close immediately after requiring you to re-insert the plugin. Does it keep happening? Is that plugin 64-bit compatible? :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Hey Rounik! It's my Tone Gladiator 2. I haven't visited the website yet to read the FAQs, but will momentarily. The funny thing is that it works. I haven't tried to record with it or run MIDI through it, but it seems to operate. I don't believe it is 64-bit. Jamie
  • JamieInNC
    By the way, Rounik... I have had a chance to really play with Logic for a few hours, and let me tell you that the Magic Mouse and it's zoom function (holding the control key and then swiping up) is amazingly convenient. I have always gotten annoyed at having to find the corner of synths and drawing them open so I can see. At long last, the zoom function follows where the mouse is on the screen, so simply placing the mouse over the synth or plug-in you need and then going into it via control-swipe allows for bigger views of the item quickly! What a wonderful workflow improvement! The Tone Gladiator I have cannot spread out, and it's always been difficult to see everything clearly. Now it's as big as my entire screen! Jamie
  • JamieInNC
    And another thing... I discovered that the pop-up for TG2 is a 32-bit audio unit bridge. I guess that need to be on for the plug-in to work properly until I get an update that allows it to run in 64-bit. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie, AFAIK the zoom function has always worked this way (you just use the Control key and the scroll wheel of a mouse or track pad) to zoom into a specific area of the screen. You can set it up in: System Preferences > Universal Access [Seeing]. Click on Option... in the Zoom section and choose which modifier key will activate scroll zoom and choose whether when zoomed in the screen image moves: 1. continuously with the pointer 2. Only when the pointer reaches the edge 3. So the pointer is at the centre of the image. About 32-bit and TG2, that makes sense. Will be great when all our plugins are fully 64-bit! Cheers Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Hey Rounik! I also wanted to ask the veterans here one thing about synths. In your experience, if a synth doesn't automatically impress you with its sounds and functions, is it really worth making the investment? The reason I ask is because I happened to download the demo of Absynth 5 last night and when I looked through the sounds, I got the sense that those types of sounds wouldn't exactly match the type of music I'm interested in writing. The sounds seems very much directed towards movie-type music or soundtracks, and less for the electronic/downtempo style. Should I give it a few days or has my first impression of it pretty much established my attitude towards it? Thanks! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie! It's an interesting question... and one I would normally answer by saying, 'go with your gut feeling'. However, not everyone approaches synths, lunch choices or life in the same way ;-) Absynth is an amazing instrument. But it does require some time to dig deeper.Used mainly in film and sound design, but also in electronic music creation. It may not be to everyone's taste. If you find it hinders your creative process then pass on it... As much as I love Omnisphere, for example, there are some occasions when I simply won't use it in some projects... and other times when I'm really in an 'Omnisphere' mood. Have you heard of any of the Rob Papen instruments? They are very popular for electronic music creation. btw, from looking at your list of gear, I would personally take some time to play with what you've got and then if you find there is a point where you 'outgrow' the instrument or you identify an area which another product serves your creative purpose better, download the demo and test it out. Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: