macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Justin Morey
    Logic Pro 7/Digi 002/10.6 compatibility issue
    I've got a friend I'm helping who is non-technical in the extreme (he's a plumber), but I've managed to get him to the stage where he can record his song ideas via Logic 7 and a Digi 002. Last night he asked me to install Snow Leopard for him, as he wanted to use imovie and iwork that he got with it for his daughter. Logic still runs (once I also installed rosetta), and both Audio MIDI Setup and the Digi Core Audio Manager recognise the 002 (after installing the latest digidesign driver), but Logic no longer sees it, so he can't currently record audio. Any ideas? I know the simple answer would be to buy 9 and install it for him, but he's reluctant to learn the new version at this point, and he doesn't really need the additional functionality for the level he's working at. He's running a newish (two year old) 2.8GHz G5 BTW. Thanks, Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Pro 7/Digi 002/10.6 comp...
    Hey Justin, I thought I recognized your name... Hope you are well! Been a long time since the T3. Well, I would recommend upgrading to Logic 9. Although only Logic 9.0.2 would be unofficially compatible with the G5. But it is so much easier to work with and setup than Logic 7. Unfortunately, Apple stopped supporting Logic 7 back in Tiger/Leopard days, so there's no guarantee that it will ever recognize the Digi. Another option is to invest in a new audio interface. Avid seem to drag their feet when providing updates for hardware with new OSs and there are better interfaces out there if he is fine using non-PT compatible hardware. The Apogee Duet is really lovely (2 inputs) and there are many more economical options with more ins and outs. Unfortunately, I don't have Logic 7 on any of my systems anymore so can't try it out with different audio interfaces on 10.6. Another option would be to purchase a new hard drive or create a partition on an existing HD. Then install the previous OS he was running and install Logic on that partition. Show him how to boot up using Startup disk to a new system drive and he can use that one with Logic 7 and the Digi 002 and his daughter can use the main system of Snow Leopard with iWork and iLife 09. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Justin Morey
    Hi Rounik, It's good of you to reply so quickly. I actually tried to email you via the address I had, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Thanks for your advice. I think partitioning the HD is the best idea as it's huge for what he's doing. I've not done this on a Mac before. Is it just a question of running disk utility from the Snow Leopard disk and reinstalling the old OS on the new partition? Will I need to configure startup disk or is this automatic? I saw Julio the other day, as he is our new external examiner at Leedsmet, and we wondered how you were doing, as you were the star of the group in your depth of understanding. Regards, Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Justin, Ha! Flattery will get you everywhere. I'll drop you a mail after this post :) The default startup disk will always be your system drive on your Mac. So you have a few choices: 1. You can use an external drive or a internal second drive and install the old OS on it or 2. You can repartition an existing drive. It's quite a painless task except for one thing. You can't partition an existing system drive (the one that is the current boot-up disk/startup up disk). So if there is one HD only (which isn't partitioned) I'd recommend cloning the drive to a separate HD use carbon copy cloner (free and reliable) [url]http://www.bombich.com/[/url] Then using the Old OS install disk erase the system drive and install the OS. Boot up from the Old OS disk by inserting the disk into the drive choosing Restart... and when it begins to restart hold down the "C" key on your keyboard. Follow the options to run Disk Utility and erase and partition the drive then install the OLD OS on one partition and Snow Leopard on the other. --- To restart from a partition, you'll need to go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the drive you wish to boot up from. Let me know if that helps, :)
  • Justin Morey
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for this. Having had a look at the requirements on CCC, I'll need a hard drive that is HFS+ formatted to do a clone backup or to use as a boot disk (current internal Mac HD is one partition). It strikes me the easiest thing would be to get a fast external drive, format it to HFS+ and then use it to run the old OS and Logic 7 etc. So: 1)Is that viable? 2)Are there any drives you'd recommend as fast enough (is USB quick enough or does it need to be firewire)? 3) Are there bus speed/processor issues in using an external drive for audio recording as opposed to the internal Mac HD? Regards, Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Justin, Yes, I'd do the same. It's the easiest option. 1. Definitely. I use a number of clones or clean systems on external HD's all the time. 2. I'd recommend a firewire 400/800 minimum. 7200rpm. There are quite a few good ones around. Lacie, Western Digital, G-tech (although mine ironically stopped working yesterday - but still a drive I would recommend). 3. No speed issues. In fact, for best performance: run Logic on your startup disk and record to, run projects & samples from an external firewire 400/800 drive @ 7200rpm or better. This will provide better performance than running everything from one internal HD. If you're recording say one or two tracks simultaneously you may not notice any difference, but more than that and using an external HD will boost performance! Cheers! Rounik
  • Justin Morey
    Hi Rounik, Great, that's helpful. In this case I'll be using the external drive as the OS startup disk, for running Logic, and for audio recording. I take it that's still not a problem? Regards, Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Justin, No probs! Yes, that should be fine running it all from the same ext. HD. Haven't testes said setup with a Digi interface, but in theory all should be fine! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: