macProVideo.com
Forums
  • chad
    Recording in Surround Sound 5.1 or Greater
    Hello, I had a few questions about recording in 5.1 surround sound using Logic Pro 9. I play live with backing tracks behind me. I was wondering if I could separate the kick, snare, and horns and bounce it as a wave file. Then put the wave file in itunes to use. If I send that out into something that will read 5.1 or greater will my mixer then see all the separate channels. Meaning channel 1 being the kick and so on.....Also I know that Logic Pro 9 also offers 6.1 and 7.1 how do I get to that window inside Logic to switch 5.1 to the others. I looked for a tutorial on this but, I couldn't find one please let me know if there's one. Thank you for your help. Thanks, Chad
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording in Surround Sound 5....
    Hi Chad, To answer your title... multitrack recording is all you need... In fact, let's say you wanted to record 5 instruments and give each of them their own distinct position in the surround 5.1 field. Then you need an interface with upto 6 inputs. 5.1 surround = 5 speakers + 1 sub woofer. Back to your question... It may well be hard to separate the kick, snare, horns etc from a single file unless you have the original multi track project or none of the parts overlap each other. Try using this trick I posted here about separating vocals from a music track. The same theory could be applied to certain frequency bands... But if it is well mixed then I don't think it will be easy or necessarily produce great results. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/tips-n-tricks&id=24077&sid=0#24298[/url]. Let's say you have your individual kick, snare, HH, horns in separate audio files. Unfortunately, iTunes can't play back multiple files at once. Logic Pro would be able to play them back and you could mix them into a Surround format. Your mixer would see the different channels if it has at least 6 outputs (because 5.1 needs 6 output speakers). You can change the surround format for the current project in: Settings > Audio - Surround Format - Hope that helps Rounik
  • chad
    So if I have a Motu 896 with eight ins and eight outs it should work for surround sound? Or do I need a special device that will read 5.1 or greater? Also you said it my be hard to use wave files with trying to separate each track with it not being over lapped. Being that I use this in a live situation use Logic Pro 9 and having to load each song in a project would take a lot of time in between songs. What other program could I run for live use using surround sound tracks at that point? Also I'm having a hard time for some reason finding the setting. I can find the audio menu but, I can't find where the surround format is to change it. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thank you so much for your help! Thanks, Chad
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chad, Yes, you can use your existing Motu interface. Just need to either get a specific 5.1 surround speaker system or 5 monitors and one sub-woofer. There are 5.1 digital receivers you can purchase as well. Best to talk to your local Pro Audio retailer for best advice on options for these. You can mix a project in Logic Pro for surround sound playback, so using the backing track you can try separating the EQ roughly and then placing different EQ bands in the Surround space using the Surround window. Logic can playback surround files as you know... I guess Mainstage would be able to do this too... just not strictly using surround channel strips, but using multiple outputs and much quicker to switch between sets/patches than Logic. Logic has two preference/settings areas. 1. Preferences (global preferences that affect all projects in Logic) is access from the Logic Pro > Preferences menu. 2. Settings (project specific) are accessed from File > Project Settings > [img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3296/screenshot20100304at172.png[/img] Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: