macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kroes
    Plug ins and several song mix
    I have two questions: 1. If I click one of the small rectangles above the mix slider I can get reverb etc...my question is- I understand I can click bypass if I don't like the sound...but what do I do if I don't even like the plug in I picked. I cannot delete it and I don't want to use it- so literally I just have it sitting there "bypassed". I even have the apple pro training book and it does not tell me how to delete it and make that rectangle blank again. 2. I have several songs completed. Since all are recorded at different levels. How can I get all the tracks after they are bounced to have the maximum "volume" the same? Do I need to keep the master volume at the same level for all songs to do this? In other words I may listen to a track in my car on CD- the next track may be louder than the previous track and I have to turn it down a bit. How do I make it all the same level of volume? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Plug ins and several song mix
    Hi Kroes, 1. To remove a plugin (instrument or effect) from a channel strip: Click and hold on the plugins slot in the channel strip. From the menu choose "None" or worded similar. I thought this is covered in the APT book... well, it's certainly something I cover when teaching the Logic certification classes. I would highly recommend the Core Logic 101 video tutorial (in fact all the Logic tuts here): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/[/url] You'll be surprised how much material is covered and how quick it can be to discover new techniques! 2. The process of digital audio production usually takes this course: Recording -> Arranging -> Mixing -> Mastering Mixing is where you create a cohesive song with effects, automation, pan and volume changes, giving all elements of the song their own space 'in the mix'. Mastering is the final stage and is where compressors, limiters are used to provide a consistent output level to a song(s). If you are using Logic Pro, use the adlimiter to achieve a consistent level / loudness that does NOT go above 0dB. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Kroes
    I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. Perhaps it was covered in the book and I just missed it...but I'll try your suggestion(s). I am using Logic Express 9. Kroes
  • Rounik Admin
    Ah yes... Logic Express doesn't include Adlimiter or multiband compression plugins... but you have a good compressor and limiter. You can also experiment with some of the channel strip settings for the Output channel strip. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    There's also some decent free plugins, like the free W-1 emulator (limiter): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/gear&id=10352[/url]
  • Kroes
    How do I use the limited in LE9?
  • Kroes
    is the output channel strip -Out 1 & 2?
  • Rounik Admin
    To use the Limiter on a track, place it as an insert effect on the track and then adjust the gain and output to raise the levels / standardize the level of the track(s) without adding distortion. Basically the limiter is desgined to limit the peak level of the track it is on. Place it on the Output channel strip. Yes, the Output channel strip is the same as Out 1&2. 1&2 in this case refers to the left (1) and right (2) stereo output from your audio interface that Logic is outputting the sound signal through. Cheers Rounik
  • Kroes
    Do I just do this on the output track or for each track AND the output track..At the same time do I keep the master track at 0.00?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Kroes, There's a whole art and science to Mixing and Mastering music, which the relevant Logic tutorials (403, 404 and 401) cover. In a nutshell, without any plugins on the output channel, try and get the audio to peak (on output channel) at about -6dB or between -3 to -6dB. Now place a limiter on the output channel. Increase the gain, lookahead and release o taste and make sure the output level is at 0dB. Make sure the output does not clip (go above 0dB). Personally, I prefer to bounce my mix first and then apply mastering to the bounced mix audio file. Using a compressor before the Limiter on the output channel can produce good results too. Placing a limiter on a track is not unheard of.. depends on the effect you are trying to produce... the audio signal on that track and the type of music you are creating. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: