macProVideo.com
Forums
  • piewo
    Logic for live performances.
    hello everybody. I've seen that some of you are using logic for live performances. I've made an environement which fits my needs, with all my microphones and midi keyboards ands stuffs going into logic tracks. The thing is : I wanted to ask you how do you start the song in logic, because I control the play and stop buttons with a pedalboard but there is a huge latency between the moment I hit the pedal and when the song is being played. What's more is that if I was playing a key or If I was singing before hitting the play shortcut with my pedalboard, the sound going out of logic is muted for a second, which mean that I cannot do any transitions between songs... Is it a particularity of logic or is it due to my own setup only? I don't have any latency otherway with my keyboards or my microphones directly plugged into logic). If you've got a tip... Thank you very much
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic for live performances.
    Hi piewo, Welcome to the forums :) I'm not sure why there should be a big delay between when you trigger the pedal and when Logic begins playback. How did you set up the pedal in Controller Assignments? Try using Input channel strips and not regular audio channel strips for routing your audio through so when you press the Play command there is no "muting of Logic's sound engine"... Also, Do you have Fast Mute channel strips selected... Have you checked out an app called OnStage? It's expressly designed to make it easy to switch projects in a live situation. What version of Logic are you running, OSX and what spec is your Mac? Lastly have you experimented using Mainstage 2 (part of Logic Studio). It's designed from the ground-up to be a live version of Logic. Even though it doesn't have a sequencer as such, audio tracks can be played back using the Playback plugin and switching "patches" and Sets can be seamless... so you never get an uncomfortable silence when performing! :) Rounik
  • piewo
    thanks for the answer. -Maybe my delay is due to the way I assigned my pedal : In the envirronement all my midi keyboards and controlers are linked from physical input directly into their own instrument channel strips. But this pedal is the only which goes straight into the sequencer input (to be the only one to control Logic fonctions) I assigned it in the Preferences > Key Commands, via the "learn new assignment" (that's why I had to linked it to the input sequencer) Is there a better way to set up a pedal to control the play/stop fonction? -I've seen the "input channel strips" for routing my audio which seems good, I won't have to hit the the "r" square to hear the microphones. Thanks for the tip. But the big deal is the software instruments, which kind of mute when I press the play command. (And god I love play little synth transition between songs to hide the starting of the playback, but it is ruined by this mute moment) - I have the "Fast Mute channel strips" selected in the general preferences. It could have change anything ? - Reading the posts on this forum I've heard about Onstage. I was sceptical, thinking about the time it needs to load a project with 4 exs24 and different audio tracks... Personnaly I use a huge logic project contaning every songs with every instruments and effects I need, and There are automation which enable or not the exs24 and effects I need. I use "next marker" shortcut to navigate between the songs. I thought it was the better way to go,but apparently not... According to you guys , the single song project with Onstage to switch is a better way to go, even if it takes time to load?
  • piewo
    [i](...up)[/i]
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Piewo, For what you describe I would still recommend Mainstage. Export your tracks as audio stems with markers already setup in Logic. Then take them into Mainstage and use the Playback plugin for these tracks. If you bounced the files without effects and automation you can automate the plugins in real time using Mainstage or just bounce the tracks with automation and let them play.... For what you have described it sounds like either using Mainstage soley or Mainsatge rewired with Logic may be the best solution. Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: