macProVideo.com
Forums
  • yan
    Recording guitar, sorting out volume levels.
    I like to record guitar into Logic, though there is something that I'm not to sure about. When I'm setting the volume levels how shall I do it? Whats the ideal way, as theres like three different volumes. E.g. Guitar volume (I should have this full?) Then the Duet volume and then the channel strip volume? Should I set the fader to 0db on the channel strip volume and then sort out the Duet volume? What would be the best/straightforward/logical way to go about this? Cheers(any feedback would be greatly appreciated)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording guitar, sorting out ...
    Hi Juno, Forget about setting the channel strip volume in Logic. This really determines the monitoring level. To control the recording level adjust the output control of your guitar and the Duet's input. Your guitar signal does NOT need to peak at 0dB! In fact when recording at 24-bit you can afford to record audio which is peaking much lower... e.g. -6 or -12. It depends on the type of guitar / music you are recording for... Hope that helps Rounik
  • yan
    Thanks for getting back Cool, I got ya. So leave the channel strip as it is, on 0dB and don't fiddle about with it. Ideally, should I set the guitar volume to full and then control it through the Duet volume? And set the level that way, say peaking at -6/-12 dB?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Juno, The level of the output gain from your guitar will affect the type of sound your guitar produces. There is no right or wrong answer here... just to find the sound(s) that work for you. For example, recording metal guitar, may be good then to set the gtr output to full and adjust the Duet to get the gtr peaking at 0dB or somewhere close. But it really depends on the style of music. In most cases there is no need to record the guitar very hot as you can easily raise the levels later if need be and most likely you will be reducing the levels to mix it into a song. So, I'd recommend experimenting with the guitar output and listen to the different effect it has on the resulting sound. Rounik
  • yan
    Yeah, I suppose there is no wrong or right answer in the long run. Thanks
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: