macProVideo.com
Forums
  • the dim(e)
    Upgrades and new computer
    Hi Guys, I awould like to upgrade to a new mac and logic 9... I have a few questions that i wonder if anyone could clear up. I am currently running logic 8 on my macbook pro 3,1. I would like to upgrade to logic 9. What is the best way to do this? Also.....If I want to use upgraded logic9 on a new mac...do I have to upload logic 8 onto new mac then run upgrade again? My 2nd query is what is the best computer to go for... The new Imac or mac pro? Any advise would be muchly appreciated. Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Upgrades and new computer
    Hi Tom, When you install Logic 9 'on top of' an existing Logic 8, the install process leaves the Logic 8 application in place so you can use Logic 8 or 9 if needed. Installing over the top of an existing Logic 8 installation will work fine. I always recommend cloning your system before any major upgrades/updates. If you decide to install Logic 9 upgrade version on a new Mac, there is NO need to install Logic 8 first. Simply either use the usb dongle or serial number for Logic 8 and enter it when requested. The Mac Pro is a more powerful machine than the iMac... but check out this thread to see why the high-end iMac is now a seriously good Mac to use with Logic. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=23274[/url] If you require PCI card expansion and lots of ports then the Mac Pro is a good move... otherwise the iMac may suit you fine. I find performance with Logic 9 on a MBP 4,1 with 4GB ram pretty good. Consider your current projects and needs and where you are finding the performance lacking... Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • the dim(e)
    Hey Rounik! Thanks so much for the advice. I think I will go for the 'imac i7' A couple of more questions regarding your answers. How do I go about cloning my macbook computer? I remember upgrading from express to pro a few years back...was easy enough to do. I seem to remember i had some doubles of samples on my mac after the upgrade? I also feel with the new computer i'd like a fresh start, I removed alot of samples and synth patches (by accident) from my macbook and never retraced them. ....you mentioned just adding the serial number of my logic 8? onto the new comp, I figure I need to upload all the sample cds etc from my logic 8 pack onto the new imac? hope that makes sense!?? cheers Tom
  • Bj
    Hi Tom, I Upgraded to a New iMac 27' at Christmas and like you, thought I would have to Install LP 8 first because my LP 9 was an Upgrade Version. Just to make sure I gave AppleCare a call and spoke to a Logic Support Tech. He assured me there was No need to install LP 8... just Install LP 9... During the LP 9 Installation you will be 'Prompted' to enter your LP 8 Serial Number... so make sure you have it handy... And he was absolutely correct... Everything was there and I have had no issues opening previous Projects created in LP 7 or LP 8... Hope this helps... Cheers, Bj As an aside... I am loving 8 gig of Ram and running Logic in 64 bit mode...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey guys, If you do a standard install from the Logic DVD then everything should install in the correct locations. You won't get duplicates (unless these already exist) as Logic studio installer writes over the existing content and adds additional content. In my experience it's a very seamless process :) If you have a dongle from version 7 or before then you can insert that before installing and Logic 9 installer should recognize it, otherwise just enter your previous serial# as Bj says and it'll all be good. :) rounik
  • the dim(e)
    Cheers guys! Bj- is the iMac 27 come with i7? or is it i5? I trying to find the imac with i7 on the apple store, looked in a few other places but noone seems to have it? i can find i5 no problem. Is the i5 sufficent? does it run in 64 bit mode? thanks again guys Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom Yes, the i5 and i7 will both run in 64-bit mode. Core2Duo processors from a few years ago can run in 64-bit mode too. If you navigate to the Apple store online and click on the top spec iMac you'll have the choice between the i5 and i7 versions: [url]http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB953LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc2NjA[/url] Both the i5 and i7 should be more than sufficient depending on your track count and whether you use mainly audio tracks, SI tracks, lots of plugins... Cheers Rounik
  • the dim(e)
    Hey Rounik, Is it possible to upgrade i5> i7 at a later date? At the moment its for my home studio, but long term it's to go into a real studio running Logic/cubase/pro tools...these programmes essentially, will be an analog studio but will need these programmes for writing/editing and available if customers want to use those packages. cheers again ! Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, The processor of an iMac, at least to this point in time, cannot be replaced by the user without invalidating the warranty. Ram is user replaceable though... Hope that helps... I'd add, a Mac Pro may last you longer and has more expansion slots (e.g. PCI cards etc) that an iMac. So, if it's likely to be used for a Pro Studio it may be worth considering. :) Rounik
  • the dim(e)
    Hey, Been looking further into this, would I be able to use a uad card with Imac? I am thinking mac pro may make sense, My lady has the imac and I love the screen on it, I'm assuming you get similar style screen with the mac pro? I'll stop pestering for tonight! Thanks again Rounik!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: