macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rohogay
    Drilling down deep, Is there a better way?
    This is a multi question post. I am running Logic 9.1.1 Question 1. I only see a limited group of track Icons when I open the track icon list from the arrange window. I find I have to drill down deep to get to the folder where the icons are housed to search them out and actually view them all. I have added a number of my own custom Icons and numbered them so they appear in the window when I open the icon selection from the arrange page. Is there a short cut to save me the long extensive path drilling just to get to the icon folder? Better yet, is there a way to get Logic to allow me to brows and or view all the available icons from the arrange page where I am working and would like to assign a track Icon? Question 2. I am under the belief that automation nodes actually create a tax on the CPU so rather then drawing in a lot of nodes, I try and turn them into a smooth line from node to node and remove any excess nodes that I can. Is it true that automation nodes tax the CPU? Question 3. If Question #2 is indeed a tax on CPU, Can automation for EFX and plug in EQs etc be drawn in via the hyper editor?
  • Hamish H
    Re: Drilling down deep, Is there a...
    Hi, here's a start on question 1 Do you have the Logic 101 tutorial? Martin shows you how to arrange your icons, how to name them etc. in videos 65, 66 and 67. The icon list in the arrange page has a set limit on the number of icons available. But you can replace any of them with your own icons. I know its easy to do, but I'm not at Logic right now so sorry I can't be more help! (I don't know enough about CPU and automation to answer 2 and 3) Hamish
  • Rohogay
    WAY past 101, already watched that and it's great but it does not address how to select which icons and what the method is for browsing them from the arrange page unless you go the drilling down method through the hierarchy and deep into the logic folders etc. When I say select them I mean directly from the icon window. his version was logic 7 and then 8 and now 9 but 9 is so different with regards to the icon window, there is a limited icon selection. I suppose I can figure out a way to organize them on my own? Thanks for the tip. Victor Mason Mojave Ampworks LLC
  • Hamish H
    No problem Victor! I have Logic 9, I watched videos 65, 66 and 67 (of Logic 101) and I swapped out six icons from the icon window, and replaced them with six of my own. (that i'd downloaded from another site) I don't need to dig any deeper than double clicking on 'icon' from the arrange window to get my own icons. From memory, in those videos, Martin tells you how to name your icons, where to save them, and how to swap them around so they appear where you want them to. I'll check it out later on when I get home (I'm in Australia so its lunchtime right now) Hamish PS Oh yeah, I should mention that two of the videos are the wrong way round! but its pretty easy to figure out the right order
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey guys, Victor... do you mean you'd like a shortcut in the OSX Finder to get to the icon folder? No problem, navigate there manually and drag the enclosing folder (the one that contains the icons) into the Side Bar area of your Finder window. You can now click on that to quickly navigate there. As for automation nodes and CPU... On today's machines, this really shouldn't cause an issue. Out of interest where did you find out about lots of nodes = CPU taxing in Logic? Thanks Rounik
  • Rohogay
    I just read your reply. Thad for that. Currently I'm on an iPhone and would like to respond in detail when I get to my computer.
  • Rounik Admin
    How did it work for you Victor? :) Rounik
  • Rohogay
    Just to respond to Hamish. I have made about a dozen custom Icons. I took Hi Rez photos of all my Microphones and guitars. I also incorporated hi Rez photos of some gorgeous drum sets which I use for drums and kicks etx. So I've got all that down. I drilled down and opened up the images file and found icons and looked them over. I see all the icons and I saw the legacy icons files. I don't see my "Users Icons" unless I go to that file located elsewhere. Odd they do not show up in the icon folder but they do show up in the icon window from the arrange page. As for the bellyaching and griping about the drilling down thing, I did watch your video on how to make shortcuts on files or just about anything on the 201 tutorial. I went ahead and simply pulled the file I wanted to the desktop where its easy to find. I have just about nothing up there. I guess I can spare one small spot on this 30 inch monitor! I will go ahead and use the save as dialog and put it somewhere else as you show in the video instructions. That should make it easy to get to in the future. I found out that CPU loading is increased from all the calculation Logic does from one node to another so it is less work on the CPU if you can draw a smooth line be it curved or straight to avoid the numerous nodes that are created when you actually draw automation. I got that information from Joe Godfrey who produced an 8 hour tutorial on Logic and was instrumental in getting me off the ground to learn how to use it previous to my finding MacPro Vido.com which I consider the most valuable and through resource for logic on the net. I like that when you have a question up here on the forum, you actually always get it answered. That is not the case in forums that do not actually offer educational medial. I like the other forums but sometimes the answers simply do not appear. Your a very good stewart of the message forum Rounik, thanks much for the detailed attention. Here is Joe's Website: [url]http://www.joegodfrey.com/hello.html[/url]
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Victor, Well, first off many thanks for the kind words. Second, thanks for viewing my Advanced OSX 201 Snow leopard tutorial! There's more than one way to skin a cat... you could also drag a folder you want quick access to next to one of the stacks in your Dock. Then you can get to it without any Finder windows being open too. Do you know about alias files and folders in OSX? I didn't cover it in my tut because I didn't want to overlap with the Core 101 OSX tut where I believed it was being covered. Let me know if you want to know more about this. You are correct, more automation nodes increase the workload on the CPU... but with today's Macs... this shouldn't really be a major issue... unless we're talking lots and lots of track automation ;-) You know you can delete lots of nodes pretty easily and create smooth curves between two nodes of your choice: Here's two ways I do this: 1. click and drag on a node towards your target node. It will delete any nodes you drag over. Now use the Automation curve tool to change the line into a curve. 2. Shift and drag over the area with many nodes (leaving the first and last node deselected. Press the delete key to delete nodes in that selection. Now hold down the Shift + Control keys and drag on the line to create a curve. Hope that helps! & btw, flattery is not necessary but always appreciated ;-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: