macProVideo.com
Forums
  • cram
    New to the recording business
    Hi everyone! I am new to the recording business. I have a G5 (dual) Logic 7, the 1620 Mackie with a firewire card, and a compressor (alesis). I would appreciate any suggestion as what else do I need as I am planning to record a CD for my church. Thanks in advance [b]YOUR TEXT HERE[/b]
  • Xidehoy
    Re: New to the recording business
    Do you mean that you are doing something like recording the choir live?
  • cram
    Not exactly. I want to record to church band first. Drums, keyboard, bass and a guitar. After that I'll record the lead singer and the choir (four people).
  • Xidehoy
    Well, there's a whole lot of ways to work this..simply put : - you'll need an appropriate rehearsal/recording space (critical, don't just settle for anywhere) - you'll need a variety of good mics, mic stands/booms, a console, playback systems (both headphones and monitors), cables, distro boxes, duct tape, tampons, electronic tuners, blankets... - a mic'ing strategy - all of the instruments (especially the drums) need to be checked for rattles etc. - drums/percussion need to be tuned - piano needs to be tuned (about a week ahead of time) - recording space needs to be checked for noises, trains, floor squeaks, janitors, birds, etc etc. - make sure the guitar and bass players have changed their strings a day or two ahead of time - double check the rhythm sections' cabling for hums and have a hard listen to their amps too. - make sure you have extra reeds, sticks, strings, mutes, picks, etc. - bullhorn, beer and bar-b-q :) - determine if there any additional players you'll need to bring in to fill out the sound - are there players that might need to be replaced (hard call) This is just a little tiny list..there are an awful lot of considerations under each of these bullets too. Have you done this before? BTW - if the choir is straight a capella, I would start there and see how things go. Just my .02 Regards, Shaun
  • cram
    Shaun, thank you for your advice, especially the BBQ and beer part! You just gave my choir members material to joke for a while! It sounds like a huge endeavor and I gues we are willing to "pay the price." I will appreciate any feedback in terms of equipment. As I mentioned previously I am going to use my G5, Logic and a compressor. In your experience, do I need anything else? Best regards
  • Xidehoy
    Well, let's start with mics. How many and what type of microphones do you think you need?
  • rVega
    For drums i recomend these: Beta52 for kick beta56 for Toms (one for each tom) SM57 for Snare (beta56 works great too if you want a bright snare) at least a copuple of small diafragm condenser mics one for HiHat/right Over Head and one for Ride/Left Overhead that is from 6 to 8 mics for Drums Bass and Guitar run a line input from Line s PODs and Bass POD respectively for Pianos and other acoustic instruments get a couple of Large diafragm condensers, for acoustic guitar you can use a combination of small\large diafragm For Vocals use the large diafragm condenser, make shure you use a pop filter for soloist, you dont need that for the choir. Also you can download a microphone technique guide from shure.com http://216.64.193.140/literature/pdf/booklets/mics_for_music_studio.pdf hope this helps.
  • cram
    Check! Got the mics! Do I need anything else besides my computer, mixer, and compressor? Thank you for your help
  • Xidehoy
    Well, no kidding, start with the list of considerations in my previous post :) As far as outboard gear goes, one could go wild with myriad optional electronic goo. If this is your first time, keep it simple with your compressor and maybe a limiter for the stereo out to logic. You may want to gate your ambient drum mics. Everyone will have an opinion on doing this their own special way, in the end you'll have to give it a go and see what happens. Get some baffles for in-place isolation of the drums and for the mic'd amps to somewhat control leakage. You'll need a couple of amps & some (good) headphones for playback if people will be dubbing. You may want some monitors to playback takes to the band, so people aren't fighting over the headsets. Find a gopher too. It's always great to have someone on the other end of the cable to help debug things. You may even be able to convince a dude from your local sound reinforcement shop to come down and lend a hand. Experience is invaluable. Just my .02 Shaun
  • rVega
    you have: Mics, mixer, Computer, Compressor... im assuming that you have all the cables and stuff... you'll need Monitors (near field or headphones with "flat" Freq response} So... just a little patience i guess and open ears... Try not to monitor your stuff too loud (you might be recording for a few hours and u dont want to get your ears tired). if you can get away with it dont use the compressor, u can allways do that later with plugins. use it only if the singer or any other source has a wide dynamic range (too soft pasages like whispers and too lued passages like screams) and be carefull with the settings, attack as slow as possible and release as fas as possible. You want to keep the recording as clean as possible (unprocessed). Do not send stuff with EQ to your tracks.. you can do this later also. i think that is it... good luck!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: