macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Insidescoop1
    RE:Help getting started with Logic
    O.K. I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go...here's what I mean...I have Apogee Duet, IMac 27' with 2 TB drive, extra Mac 2 TB outboard hard drive, Logic (latest top of line version), I've subscribed to macprovideo.com and it's all so overwhelming I don't know where to start. I think I need a users group to plug into to get things going but I'm not sure where one would be located. I usually need some interaction as I'm not just a read and do it kind of guy. I'm also willing to engage in trial and error but who has time to re-invent the wheel. I'd like to start and end my first album project. I have plenty of ideas and all the equipment I need. Now, I just need some help. I live in the East Bay (45 miles outside of San Franciso)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: RE:Help getting started with L...
    Hi insidescoop1 I'd really recommend starting right at the beginning. Turn off your cellular, make a cup of coffee/tea/whatever & close the door to your room. Now start with the Core Logic 9: Logic 101 tutorial. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9101[/url] You can follow along or just sit and watch... but that is the best getting started guide IMHO. If you need something a little different to get you started, then I'd recommend the Switcher guide from GB to Logic: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/GBLogic[/url] Learning Logic will require a little time, I won't lie to you, but interacting with the video tutorials will save you tons of time in the long-run and you'll learn the most efficient ways to use Logic. I don't know much about the geography of the States... (I'm UK based) but do use google to help you find local Logic user groups and feel free to come on the forums here and ask away... with any question no matter how big or how small. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Insidescoop1
    Thanks for the reply Rounik. I have watched Core Logic 9:Logic 101 tutorial. Full of great tips and observations but thus far no help in actually plugging things in step by step, setting things up and getting underway. Ah....I smell a hot cup O' Joe comin' on and will use the other resources you have suggested. I'll keep you posted and just for your reply when I finish my first album a free copy is headed your way. Thanks again! "T"
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi T, No probs! So, a quick guide... Plug in your Apogee Duet to your iMacs firewire port. Go to the Apogee website and download the latest driver. Install it and follow the instructions... Connect a microphone or guitar in one of the inputs of the Duet. Open the Maestro application and set the type of input (XLR mic or guitar for example) set the gain so it doesn't clip. Now launch Logic. Create an audio track. In Logic Pro go to Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [Devices] Here you can set the Audio Input device (so your Duet) and the Output device (if you have speakers connected from the Duet's outputs choose the Duet, if not choose the Built-in audio. On the Audio track, set the input to correspond to the input on your Duet and click on the little 'r' - record ready button. You should now be able to monitor and record your voice/guitar/input. (make sure to wear headphones when recording to avoid any feedback or recording the metronome/background noise.) Hope that helps a little... Rounik
  • Insidescoop1
    Much appreciated and will do...if I post a pic of fingernails and a beard as long as Howard Hughes' you'll know what happened - I went in my recording studio and didn't come out for a year! LOL!
  • Rounik Admin
    LOL! ... I must be the only person who keeps nail clippers in their studio... I had to google 'Howard Hughes'... fascinating man! :) R
  • Insidescoop1
    Howard definitely marched to the beat of his own drummer! A true eccentric genius. For a Hollywood representation of his life I suggest viewing "The Aviator". Leonardo DiCaprio does a nice job of portraying the life of Hughes. Gotta go....time to pee in a bottle! LOL!
  • Rounik Admin
    Excellent. I'll check out the Aviator soon. Thnx.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: