macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Michelle Bourke
    How do I smoothly move from one note to another?
    Forgive me if this is in a course past the 101 video series because I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm putting together a song at the moment was hoping someone might have the answer... I have a track (Vintage Mix - ES2) and I want to be able to (over 1 - 2 bars) smoothly move from a middle C to an octave above. I was wondering whether maybe I do it with automation but the 101 video series doesn't teach that particular automation technique (if in fact that is what you need to do it) I imagine this to be the part of the song where you have this one tone moving upward with perhaps a white noise track behind it leading toward a point where the drums...etc kick in to the dance track. thanks in advance! Michelle :-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: How do I smoothly move from on...
    Hey Michelle, There's a few different ways to do this. One of the easiest ways is to use the Pitch Bend wheel on your MIDI Keyboard and record that in as region based automation. Just hit the record button in Logic and move the pitch bend wheel as desired. You can edit this: Opent the Piano Roll and click on the HyperDraw button in the bottom left. From the drop down arrow on the left choose Pitch Bend to view this data. You can achieve similar results using just the ES2. Does this help? Rounik
  • steveH
    Remember to set the "Bend Range" on the ES2 to a least "12" to get your octave sweep! It goes all the way to 36 (three octaves) if you need more.
  • Michelle Bourke
    Thanks so much Steve and Rounik! Im from Oz hence why it takes a while for me to receive a message back and then apply it to my project! But it all worked so well (unfortunately I only have an electric piano with midi input but no roller thingy on it but doing it without it worked just fine.) Also managed to work out how to do White Noise to go along with it! (although Im sure that'll get covered off in tutorial videos later). Anyway - thanks again guys Michelle :-)
  • Michelle Bourke
    Yep it definitely did!! Thank you :-D
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs Michelle! seeing as you're talking about white noise, synths and transitions in a dance / elctro genre(?) I think you're gonna absolutely love this tut by Olav Basoski: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9404[/url] I honestly, can't recommend it highly enough!... But of course there's plenty of time ;) Rounik
  • Michelle Bourke
    Oh awesome as! Thanks for the tip :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Michelle, It is a great tut and one I love coming back to... but I guess I should also mention it is a 400-series tutorial so is more advanced than the 101 :) btw, what did you use to create white noise in the end? Cheers R
  • Michelle Bourke
    Yeah my plan is just to go through the video training sequentially so have just finished 101 and will keep going on from there. With white noise... 1. Used Es2 synth 2. Set to "complete reset" (had to download thta plugin from a forum I found 3. Set oscillator 3 the third point to 100 percent 4. Changed some setting down the bottom to "amp" and "env3" and some other setting to BP (just based on this utube video I found) 5. Then I set it across the track using automation Lol!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Cool. I generally use that method too. Also, like using the ESP to create simple sweeping white noise effects. Here's the setting I used for it: [url]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1431/screenshot20100427at083.png[/url] Play around with the frequency, the Attack (A) in the envelope on the right side, Resonance and of course the chorus effect can produce something funky. You can make better sounds using separate effects together on the same channel strip, but this is an easy one to quickly create IMHO. :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: