macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hizegau
    Video editing to the music
    I haven't yet looked at Steve's new tutorial on video editing in Logic, but I am wondering if anyone else has faced the problem of editing video to music in Final Cut with markers that delineate Logic markers, measures, and beats. In another words, having markers in Final Cut that superimpose measures and beats on top of the SMPTE timeline. I have been using an obscure technique in Final Cut, detect audio markers. I bounce my click track in Logic and then run it through this detection in Final Cut and it produces markers on the beat, or any subdivision the click is set to. It works pretty well, though there are some issues. If anyone has pursued this idea, including Steve, I would be eager to know more. Randall
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Video editing to the music
    Hi Randall, Funny you should mention this... I was just writing a blog post about editing to music in FCP... However, I'm going to put it on the back burner now as I've not come across this "detect audio markers" feature in Final Cut. I've also looked in the Keyboard Layout and nada. I also bounce my click track, but create markers manually... Do you mean: Mark > Audio Clips > Mark ? This command hasn't worked for me in the tests I've done... Cheers R
  • Hizegau
    Hi Rounik, you can find it in Mark/Audio Peaks/Mark in Final Cut. You need to boost the gain of your clicks so that they go over 0. The funny thing about this is that this detector is supposed to be used find unwanted audio peaks, and it creates markers wherever this occurs. In our case, it detects the clicks as audio peaks and gives us the markers we want. Amazing! When you get to the beat level, it seems to get bogged down with too many markers and gets very slow in the detection process. I am curious if there are better ways of doing this. But the beauty is that you have musical time superimposed on SMPTE time in a video editing environment.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Randall, Yes, I meant Mark > Audio Peaks > Mark (slight typo in my post above!) I see, so the peaks have to exceed 0dB... Makes sense why my -6dB click track was getting no love then. I'm going to try your method out. Definitely cool for editing only to the beat. I decided to go ahead and create my blog tip for editing video to music in FCP. It's a more manual method in some respects - but quite cool in other ways... When it's published I'll let you know and link to it here. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: