macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tim
    Best way to set a headphone mix for "More Me"
    I'm struggling with getting a great headphone mix for a singer I am recording. I'm using an Ensemble with Logic 9 Pro - the problem is not so much the overall level, mainly the vocal level in her cans. Is there a way, or what is the best way to raise the vocal level without having to raise the preamp level and clipping the signal (i'm using an external preamp on inputs 5 and 6 on the ensemble). Would a good headphone amp help as well? Many thanks in advance.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Best way to set a headphone mi...
    Hi Tim, Have you tried placing a gain plugin or compressor on the vocal channel strip that's being fed to the headphone mix? Alternatively, route your tracks to different busses and insert effects/adjust levels there before sending them to the main headphone mix... that will give you greater control on levels. Jonathan Perl did a great cameo tutorial in Steve H's Logic TNT2 series on effectively creating headphone mixes you may be interested in: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9303tnt2[/url] Let me know if this helps, Rounik
  • Tim
    I've tried a compressor the channel but not to much effect - from memory it required me to have software monitoring on - I'm just wary of any latency issues. I bought that series a while back - I will have to have another look - might have missed it that tutorial. I will get back with the results! Thanks again! You guys are great!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, OK. I didn't realise you don't have software monitoring on... You may want to try SM on and with a low I/O Buffer setting 128/64/32. You can always turn on Low Latency mode which should make sure that latency, despite any latency inducing plugins, should not be an issue. Let me know how you get on. I think the headphone mix section is video 28 in the TNT2. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: