macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hesydoo
    Frame Rate Question?
    Steve, I am working with a producer and he has sent me a work copy of a film that has a rate of FPS:7.45?? It does seem to sync up, but what's going on with that rate? That is not one of the options in Logic for frame rate? Right? It is a .m4v and like I said it is only a smaller size work file, not the real mov. Your tutorials are the best! thanks M
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Frame Rate Question?
    Hi maxwell, It sounds like the producer has sent you a very rough copy to save on size? Can you ask him/her what the frame rate the original movie is shot in. Then either have them re-send in the original frame rate, or you could open it in Quicktime Pro 7 and export it to a new file with the correct frame rate... :) Rounik
  • steveH
    Yup! I agree with Rounik... A video with that frame rate is not able tp be synced in Logic. Steve
  • Hesydoo
    Hey guys thanks for all your help. I am working with several different producers and film makers all over the country and as you can imagine I do receive many different frame rates. My question yesterday was about a frame rate that I had never seen? FPS:7.45 and 5.33? I did speak with the producer in question and he shoots 1080P24, and his sequence in final cut is: XDCAMEX1080P24, before he sends me a clip to work on he does export it in final cut to the iphone conversion and that is where the strange FPS:7.45?????? comes from. The FPS, for the real .mov is 23.98. When I work on his projects they do seem to be in sync, but it was not until a watched Steveâs new video on film music and sound that I noticed this FPS??? problem. Well, what would you guys recommend me to do? Tell the producer to send me a bigger file with normal FPS? or just keep working with the files he send me and pretend that I donât know any better?? thanks for all the great work you all do at macProVideo and I am always recommending your site! by the way,... here is the e-mail that the producer sent me to explain how he is getting those FSP: numbers. does this seem logical! Final Cut. Export / Quik Time Conversion / IPOD This is not the same thing as .mov file. The info file you sent me was of an m4v MPEG 4 file. Make sure that is clear. Apple does a trick with intraframe compression- which is assume is why the frame rate shows as 1/3 the rate yet looks in sync. It is in sync just less frames per second are used. They are blended to appear full frame. That is what MPEG compressions do.  The original is always 1080P24. That is what the camera shoots always.
  • Rounik Admin
    Well, it's a good question. On the one hand if it works well in Logic and the director takes responsibility for this, then you might choose to go that route. Alternatively I'd recompress it to a standard frame rate... or ask the director to send it without the iPod format which reduces the frame rate - and instead ask it to be sent in the correct frame rate. Depending on the type of movie you're scoring to, it can pay to have a full frame rate version... my 0.02 cents. :) Rounik
  • steveH
    My guess is that you're not seeing all the frames. I would ask for a dv format...
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: