macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Futant Mutant
    bounce In place, offline and realtime bounce
    When i bounce in place a soft synth with automation the resulting audio is always the same if i do the same bounce in place more than once. If I bounce the same region realtime the resulting audio varies (usually very subtly but zooming in on the waveforms makes the difference clear). Why is this? Is it to do with latency?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: bounce In place, offline and r...
    Hi Futant What automation is there? volume? Thanks Rounik
  • Futant Mutant
    no volume automation. filter cutoff, drive and resonance. If you automate cutoff and res of a couple of bars of esm, then bounce in place and then bounce the same thing again but real-time and place the real-time bounce on a track above or below the bounce in place then zoom in on both you'll probably see a difference. They are very similar but there are noticeable differences. no normalise. 24 bit 44100hz Thanks.
  • Futant Mutant
    it seems like there are differences in the automation timing...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Futant, Very interesting... A couple more things to try... Solo the track. bypass any effects on Stereo Output. File > Bounce (offline) Does this have the same effect as the BiP region or the bounce offline region? Also, is there any audible difference between the two/three bounces? ----- - Do you get the same behaviour in the same project with different synths? - What about in a new project? - What synth are you using? What about any latency inducing plugins. e.g. Adlimiter, Space Designer, etc. - Out of interest do you Snap Automation enabled in the Snap menu?.... What are your automation offset values in Logic? Logic Pro > Preferences > Automation Cheers Rounik
  • Futant Mutant
    Hi Rounik, thanks for the reply I have same thing in new project. File > Bounce (offline) seems same as BiP real-time bounce sounds more like playback. I hear and see a noticeable difference just automating cutoff of logic's esm. Also tried with Rob Papen Albino and same thing. no other plugins, nothing on master have tried different snap automation settings and it doesn't seem to affect BiP, maybe real-time bounce... not sure snap offset at -5 but I tried with 0 and didn't seem to change the result of another BiP. Over at http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=252828&sid=11941a1ae9a3eecdff52552802078750 lagerfeldt says (second post down): "However I did notice two things when offline bouncing: 1) Automation timing may be slightly off compared to realtime (=earlier) 2) Some 3rd party plug-ins such as Antares Auto-Tune EVO can act up" would be really grateful if anyone can confirm/deny this happening to them. Cheers.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Futant, What version of Logic by the way? 9.1.1? 32-bit or 64-bit mode? I've also heard reports of others saying real-time sounds different to offline. Are you using all built-in plugins? I'll do a check when I next get to Logic :) Rounik
  • Futant Mutant
    Logic 9.1.1 32-bit mode osx 10.6.3 macbook pro 2.2 C2Duo easiest way to test this is with a softsynth such as esm and automate cutoff from 0% to 100% to 0% to 100% to 0% over a bar of every other 16th notes. This makes it really obvious to hear and see the differences. (I also tried it with 3rd party soft synths such as rob papen's albino, so I didn't just check with only built in plugins) Is there a way to BiP but using a realtime bounce? (I don't think so but it would be great). Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    thanks! I'll test this out later today and let you know my results. :) Rounik
  • Futant Mutant
    Thanks Rounik. Look forward to your results.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: