macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Performing live in Logic vs Mainstage?
    Rounik, I've spoken with you before about performing live with Mainstage vs Logic. I've been using Mainstage for a few months now and I want to try my hand at using Logic now. My question is: what is the basic approach? I don't want to mess around in the environment too much. I just want to be able to sing through input 1 (on every song), play guitar through input 2 (sometimes) and be able to play midi tracks and manipulate audio via plug in modulation. Would I just play my sequencer/arrangement with my audio input tracks record enabled and just switch through midi tracks when I want to play and manipulate them? Any help is MUCH appreciated MPV rocks!!!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Performing live in Logic vs Ma...
    Hi coFane, Well... utilising the Environment would give you a lot of flexibility... for example using Touch Tracks... Otherwise, create an Input channel strip in the Environment - and set it's audio input to sing through... you can add it to the Arrange area by dragging it onto an existing track. Do the same for a second Input for the guitar. Then you could playback Audio and MIDI regions as you say... Good idea to assign controls / parameters to your MIDI Controller so you can adjust settings/levels/etc on the fly. Let me know if you need some further help. :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Let me just ask you, do you REALLY like performing using Logic? Do you think it is ideal for someone who knows what they are doing? Here's what I would like to be able to do well (tell me if you think it's manageable). 1) have an input open for Guitar and vocals 2) be playing an instrument on my keyboard at any given time 3) trigger all my backing tracks (generally) with touch tracks 4) use knobs to tweak whatever touch track I think would be cool at any given time. All of these things will have to be available to me simultaneously usually. Most of my performance will be centered heavily on my vocals so I'm not really trying to be a techno hero on stage. I just want things to sound really cool and to be taking part in what's going on (triggering touch tracks, tweaking a little and playing insturments as I sing). Would Logic be a good route to take? Thanks Rounik!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Eric, I do!... Like performing using Logic, but then again I know other Logic users who don't, and prefer to use Live or mainstage if possible. 1) Yes 2) Yes 3) er, yes... are the backing tracks one audio file? 4) er, yes... using Controller Assignments this can be achieved easily... or a slightly more complex environment can be setup to achieve this - although during playback it could be seamless. Sure, I think it could be good... Best thing to do is to create a mock Live setup and see if the workflow suits. Generally once the first mock-up is created then the rest will be easier to re-create. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: