macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Michelle Bourke
    Finding the right vocal effect
    Yay - the videos on Logic Pro are working for me again!! Thanks for fixing them. So...I kinda got a bit obsessed with backing tracks and recording a version of Colbie Caillat's "Bubbly" with Logic Pro... (hopefully this is a phase everyone goes through and I am not a freak but that aside...) What I'm wondering is... 1. Can anyone figure out the vocal effect that is used on Colbie's voice. Mine sounds very...closed/muffled or something that I can't describe. I tried for ages to muck around but I just couldn't get it right. This is my version: http://soundcloud.com/michellebourke/bubbly This is the original version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGqoCNbsvM 2. What is normally the vocal effect setting for singers doing dance/electro tracks? Mich :-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Finding the right vocal effect...
    Hi Michelle, Nah... don't worry 'bout it. We've all been there covering Colbie Caillat...um... well, not me because I don't have as lovely a voice as you do! Alright, so... compliments to one side for now... What mic and type of room did you use to record your version? These can have a huge impact as can the audio interface used... A touch less reverb on yours would be nice, perhaps just bring the dry level down or (if you haven't already) place the reverb fx on an Aux channel and send from the vocals to that Aux. A little more compression on the voice and EQ'ing to help it sit above the mix and give it separation may help too. Have you checked out Steve H's Mastering videos? There's no one vocal setting to fit all... simply because the mic, recording room, vocalist, etc varies greatly. That's not to say you can't get close to Colbie's sound... but bear in mind a lot of expensive gear was probably used to add that warmth. I'd be really interested to hear your future versions... :) Rounik
  • Michelle Bourke
    Thanks so much Rounik! I'll definitely do that. Sorry took me a while to see your reply cos I went away on holidays for a bit. Anyway I'll definitely get to that mastering tutorial some day - I had to wait for the video stuff to get fixed which you guys were having troubles with so I am just finishing of the tutorial with David Dvorin on the EX24 now... My fave bit was learning how to get vibrato into instruments. And zones were cool too. Thanks again Mich :)
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Michelle! Yes I think the mastering tutorial will help - you may find in time there are some 3rd party plugins or extra hardware you might consider in the future to help too. Yeah... Vibrato into instruments is very cool in the exs24. I really like the 'looped points' in the audio files. :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: