macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Krugie_mtl
    Dynamic range in Mastering
    Hi, I bought Steve H's Mastering Class a few months ago and learnt quite a lot. I do have a question though: In the tutorial, Steve talks about a dynamic range of 5dB in pop. To compare professionnal songs with my own stuff, I put different tunes in Logic and saw that most of them have more of a -12dB dynamic range. It seems to me that a 5dB would be mostly sqeezed out. Any thoughts on that ? Best wishes, Christian
  • steveH
    Re: Dynamic range in Mastering
    Hi, Are you looking at peak or average? Also, "lighter" pop will sometime have a wider range... whereas harder pop/rock will have a smaller range. And you're right.. most of it has the life squeezed out of it. Lately, I've been hearing more dynamic range in pop too... especially the new stuff out of England. Steve H
  • Krugie_mtl
    Re: Dynamic range in Mastering
    Hi Steve, I used the "Peak" mode on the multimeter. As a matter of fact, I was speaking about the England stuff, especially dubstep ! I asked the question because I struggled quite a lot to master an electronic song I did. I had probably too much peaks with the drums and percussions. I had to reduce those before putting the song in the AdLimiter. Maybe that's the problem of using the Peak mode ? Here is a link to the song: http://www.ajiq.qc.ca/images/Barbican.m4a By the way, I do have four MPV tutorials. Good stuff indeed. Best wishes, Christian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: