macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Darren
    64Bit and more memory.
    Hi there, has anyone upgraded an iMac to more than 4GB of RAM since the 64Bit version of logic Pro 9 came out? To say 8GB for example. Have you noticed an improvement in the performance of Logic Pro since? Thanks Darren
  • James Champion
    Re: 64Bit and more memory.
    I am so far from being a LOgic Studio expert, maybe I shouldn't answer you on this, but I am a computer savvy ex-network admin with years of Intel PC and Server experience. You probably already know you don't need 8 gig of memory to run Logic in 64bit mode, so you can experience some of what I am going to tell you without buying a thing. I did and the outcomes left me thinking it had to be the lack of memory that must of caused be problems. I installed an additional 2 sticks of 1066 DDR3 thinking this would smooth out Logic's funny hiccups, but now I have a blazingly fast 32 bit Logic Studio 9. I noticed first Logic reconfiguring itself to adjust to using 32bit au's etc., in 64bit mode, just like it did when my new i7 2.88 2TB with 4GB Logic was switched to 64bit. I just jumped from Windows 7 64bit and it seems to have many more vendors on board with with them. Once configured, I felt like Logic was sort of blinking now and then like someone with eye tick. This annoying blip and the more annoying fact that most of the rest of my Logic 9 innards were still firing off in 32bit, just pissed me off. Logic just seems to feel smoother in 32bit, but I will admit a faster and smoother Logic Studio 9 with 8GB, then 4GB.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 64Bit and more memory.
    I'd like to add that having tried Logic 9.1.1 in 64-bit and 32-bit on a few systems with 4GB ram I haven't noticed any discernible difference... aside from the current limitations for Logic in 64-bit documented here. On machines with 8GB+ Logic 64 is only really of use when running large 3rd party 64-bit compatible instruments like Omnisphere, RMX etc... but 32-bit unit bridge is still a work in progress and some users have found it to be unstable. Remember that Logic's EXS24 can use Ram outside of Logic's 3.2 (4) GB limit and the OS will want some too... so upgrading to 8GB would be a good move if you wish to run large EXS24 instruments. Also, you'd be future proofing yourself ;-) But I think if you plan on using 64-bit plugins at the same time as 32-bit plugins in 64bit Logic then you may run into some issues... but this really depends now on 3rd party developers getting their plugins 64bit compatible. Hope that helps :-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: