macProVideo.com
Forums
  • James Champion
    Old Guy Going Nuts -- Please HELP!
    I have run into a snag! I have figured out most discrepancies between key strokes; small things, but now I continue to find myself right back where I started from; the reason why I came here and the reason I continue to search for simple explanation to my obviously goofy problem... it just can't be this hard! I have done most of the first part of " Logic 7 101 and 105, Logic's Environment Explored." To be frank, I was quite certain I knew how this should work and it works easily and flawlessly in Cubase. Is this nuclear science or the end of my last days of thinking? I have three keyboards of different ages. A Motif 7, a Triton Studio, and a Korg M3. I want to set them up so each has its own MIDI port; so that it can use a specific AU while using its own voice/voices; I used to do this in Cubase. Like having the Studio setting up a range of Kore base notes using one track. No problem in Cubase, but I am getting old trying to do this in Logic. I have spent weeks trying to get this to work. It's easy to set up the range, but no matter what I do in the environment I cannot separate the keyboards so that they stop playing back in other tracks. It's like the SUM is on no matter what I do. I don't have the same screens as in the 105 tutorial.... I have figured out a lot of them, but maybe I'm missing something?
  • mtec
    Re: Old Guy Going Nuts -- Please H...
    hi, let me get this straight. Do u want to have ur 3 keyboards playback there own sounds on there own channels? you will need external midi tracks for that. To use Au software inst they will need their own software ins tracks. sorry but some more clarification plz
  • James Champion
    Sorry, I realized shortly after reading my post that I had left much to the imagination and more that made one think I was not well versed. I tried to fix this, but it was too late. This is what I don't get right. In my example I have three keyboards, each configured with its' own usb cable and configured MIDI channel. They show up automatically in Snow Leopard as, the MOTIF (channels 1-7), Triton Studio (Connected through a Fast Track Ultra DIN-2-USB channel 12), and the Korg M3 Sound USB channel 8). I am old and when MIDI first came out it was simple. In Cubase it seems I just gave Keyboard names to each MIDI keyboard, created tracks and used these friendly names to drive them. Filtered as needed. It seems like I need to remove the SUM port and create layers for each keyboard somehow or know something I am not getting. I have removed every layer and still have keyboards walking all over each other... I was really hoping another weekend wasn't going up in smoke. I feel quite dumb, but I have had a lot of medical issues and maybe this is beyond my ability.
  • Dekuruy
    Hi James, In Project settings, go to 'recording', and click the check box for 'auto demix by channel if multitrack recording'. This will allow you to assign each track in logic its own midi channel corresponding to the channels your three keyboards are sending on, and each one should then work the way you want them to. Just select the desired track on the arrange page, and in the inspector you'll be able to see the parameter for MIDI channel, and select as desired. Just click the disclosure triangle next to the name of the selected track in the inspector and you'll see the parameters available.
  • James Champion
    Thank you. I remember vaguely trying this too, as another stab to another reading somewhere; someplace, sometime. I gave up and went to sleep last night, but maybe this new morning on Sunday this week will be the charm. Your directions do make sense; it really can't be this hard to do something everyone must do all the time. I will let you know.
  • James Champion
    I think your advice, in addition with a few sighs and deep breaths, was the right one. When I had done this before, I knew nothing about about how the environment worked. Then I went on an environment witch hunt. But, it wasn't all in vain, there is much to know and use along the way. The time and money I spent here has been worth it. Everything has gone wrong this weekend. My car etc. I had such a great reply full of wisdom, but now the best I can say is just: Thank you for getting me back on a more quiet path. I was pulling my hair out. I even put some drums in an idea...wow...!
  • Dekuruy
    Hi James, Glad I was able to help. I went on the same crazy journey when first trying to do something similar to what you are trying. I tried all kinds of things in the environment, which was also new to me at the time, all to no avail. Then auto demix by channel really opened things up for me. The environment is an amazing and powerful resource. It's frustrating in the beginning, if you haven't used it before, but be patient. You may find that each obstacle you overcome will open new doors to better, more creative, and more powerful music making opportunities.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: