macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    Mac Pro 8 Core and 64 Bit
    I watched the video by Steve H. on Logic 9, 64 bit. I think he took it up to 39 instances of Stylus RMX playing the same big multi. I also noticed that he has an 8 core Mac Pro with only 8Gigs of RAM. Why on earth would anyone need 16 or even 32 Gigs unless they are actually writing a symphony? I'm thinking the machine that Steve H. has is more than most people will out-grow. At least for the next 5-7 years. I'm contemplating replacing my dual 2.3 G5. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mac Pro 8 Core and 64 Bit
    Well... bear in mind that things don't stand still for long in the audio or video world. As more power/ram becomes available with computers... you can be sure there will more cpu and ram guzzling plugins being developed... Also, I'm sure OSX, Logic 10, every app will happily make use of more ram in the near future... But I have one (yes just the one) word of 'wisdom' for you regarding a new purchase: wait. [url]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro[/url] There possibly will be a new Mac Pro out in September... Hope that helps Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    Thanx. Do you have a machine similar to Steve H.? If so, how do you like it? Is it growing obsolete at all? Or are you expecting many more years out of it? Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rob, Somehow your reply ended up lost in the forums... Have you seen the new Mac Pros announced yesterday? [url]http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/[/url] If I had the need and was in the market for a new Mac Pro, I'd be looking at these without doubt. I'd hope these would last 5 years... but difficult to say as computing power needs are moving forward at an ever increasing pace. :) Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    Rounik, Very interesting new Mac Pros. It is quite obvious that we have hit a performance wall in terms of "speed per core". I don't see any other features other than the 6 and 12 core options and solid state drives. I don't know alot about video cards as I am an audio guy. I did read some rumors about USB 3.0. I don't see that anywhere. They didn't increase the available ram. If I bought a used Harpertown machine with 8 cores, it wouldn't be as fast as a comparable Nehalem, but I don't see where I would get "left behind" like I was with my g5. I would have a slower system bus, bit not so much that I would be excluded from any audio plug-ins that I am aware of. Maybe you could shoot a few holes in my plan. My goal is saving money. Thanx, Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rob, Speed is not the be all and end all it once was... in fact number of cores is now where it's at & the ability to hyperthread... also the type of processor used is crucial too! Non scientific example: a single core running at 3Ghz would in theory easily be out performed by dual core running at 1.5Ghz using the same architecture. The real question for me is are the software developers able to keep up and program their software to take advantage of the better hardware spec and 64-bit OS technology... I'd say buy the best you can afford now... which is pretty vague advice really... but perhaps we are coming to the stage of Mac hardware using intel chips whereby a Mac Pro for 5 years is an ambitious prospect for audio/video guys... it's so difficult to know what the future needs of our software will be. But judging from the recent past, a decent Mid range Mac Pro can last a fair while. Hope this is of some help. Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    Rounik, I was under the opposite impression concerning multiple cores. I was thinking that having a big individual core capacity would be good for processor hungry plug-ins. Thanks for the info. Rob
  • Vivisuy
    Just to clarify, the virtual core technology presents 16 cores to all software regardless of whether it was written for multiple cores of not. I think I'm leaning toward the new 2.4 x 8 core that was just announced. My of concern is what one instance of Massive would do on a Nahalem Mac Pro. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be able to dump just about anything on my new machine and not worry about having one core start hitting the red (like my g5) and the other cores be doing just fine. Do you know what I mean?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: