macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Darren
    Importing general Midi
    Hi, I was wanting to learn a bit about the way a pop song is structured, so I purchased a midi version of a current pop hit from a reputable site. The midi file sounds fine when I play it with quicktime, but if I open it with logic, it assigns the tracks to the wrong instruments and it sounds awful. I am assuming that the file conforms to general Midi because quicktime has no problems, so how do I get Logic to open the same file, with a closer approximation of the correct instruments? Thanks Darren
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Importing general Midi
    Hi Darren, Have you tried this... In the Environment create a new Quicktime Synth object: New > Internal > Apple Quicktime Now in the Arrange area control-click on the Track header with your MIDI region on and choose Reassign Track > Mixer > Quicktime Does this help? Thanks Rounik
  • Darren
    Thanks Rounik, I'll give that a go. I also found that dragging the midi file to an already open but blank Logic project worked to some degree, although crash cymbals came up as a music box. Cheers Darren.
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs Darren! I haven't got any GM MIDI files here to play with and try this out... but I'm wondering if creating a multi-instrument in the Environment and cabling it to the Quicktime Synth would help also..? :) Rounik
  • Zihymua
    A mystery, first open Logic and choose empty , when they ask for, create a software instrument, close the window but not Logic, go on, file click open, choose your midi an open it, this way midi file come in almost OK, a mystery from Logic Hope this Help you AlRobi
  • Rounik Admin
    Bizarre... Thanks Alrobi. Darren, can you replicate this with the MIDI files you are importing? :) R
  • Zihymua
    Most of the time General Midi file sound weird in Logic, i never used the GMidi sound. What i prefer to DO -Delete channel strip- and if it is a Drum track use Ultrabeat or Toontrack, what i tried to tell you just keep the midi signal region, this way with a little bit of work you could end on a not to bad musical song , do not forget in the left window on the Lists option to delete all the controller in this midi file most of the time they are erronous
  • Rounik Admin
    Cool! I think Darren's MIDI file is a complete arrangement... Not just drums... and more for the purpose of arrangement of pop music than production :)
  • Zihymua
    Still French speaking, i tell drum but you do the same to replace piano or bass etc.. , but sometimes what it is great supposed the basic GMidi was a Flute you can change it for Obeo or Clarinets most of the time you end up with nicer track than the original, this way you can built and mix at your taste all tracks to end up with a lot more quality plus a almost new beautiful sounding song
  • Rounik Admin
    Sure thing Alrobi, I completely agree with you. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: