macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bob C
    Changing Keys
    I have discovered that I need to either rerecord a guitar track...or if it is possible, change the key using Logics Apple Loops tool... Is it possible to do so for a track that is 130 bars long and not get artifacting etc...
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Changing Keys
    Hi Bob, You could try turning the performance into an Apple Loop and then using the Global Tracks to transpose the entire project... or separate the sections of the recorded audio region and transpose them using the Region Parameters in the Inspector. Whether you get artifacts depends very much on the type of guitar performance and how much transposition is applied... You could also try using Logic's pitch shifting plugins and automate the values. Rerecording will usually give better results though. Let us know how you get on. Rounik
  • Bob C
    Hello Rounik, I appreciate the input. I've located the place to tweak the key in the Global area. I placed the two guitar tracks into a new song to experiment without using the apple loops tool and there was no change in key that I noticed. I will try the the apple loops trick tonight to experiment. But the thought occured to me...is it true that you have to have apple loops created for the key change to occur? Also, is it the same algorithm that's used in the Apple loops area of logic. Also...couldn't find a tool like the key tool in the inspector...where's it hiding. If I can get this to work...the base part is the only other thing I will have to tweak, but that should be reasonably easily done, I think by selecting them in the piano roll area and moving the triggers...? (Only going from G to E) Also, once I get this to work. Can I change the key in one song...the guitar parts for example. Save the song...then copy and paste the guitar parts into another song and expect it to have the same key as I saved it as in the song before I copied it from...or do I need to go into the global area and give it the right key before pasting.... Thanks for the help!
  • Bob C
    Hello Rounik, A report of what I've tried and the results: First I glued the guitar parts together as I found the Audio loops tool only wanted to see parts. After which I selected the track, did this with both tracks, then opened the Audio loops. Filled out the forms then...selected the key the song is in, then hit save. Before saving, I noticed the key changing device would not change the key of the guitar part...? Just a note, the song length is 3:40 at 24 bit and is a non-looping loop. I'm presuming...that loops are in the short range...I've heard that they can only be 8 bars...is that true? I hit save anyway. The file ended up in my Logic folder. I dropped it into the loops bin and tried to change keys with the loops key tool on the bottom right of the window. It didn't change anything. I then dragged it into a song, creating a region. I then changed the key in the global tracks area. No change again. I'm wondering if I missed a step...or what? Suggestions? I really hope I can get a handle on this process as I believe the process can be potentially a really cool way to tweak a song, especially if there is no sound degradation...like I've heard on some of the samples in the loops bin. I really appreciate the help! Okay...an update...I changed the button to Apple loops and redid the conversion...the key changing tool works...but the tempo is definitely off. Interesting.... Bob C
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bob, Thanks for the update... No loops can be longer than 8 bars!! OK. First off, when you record audio into a project in Logic 8/9 then certain info is embedded in the audio file. For example, Logic knows what tempo setting you used and you can make the recording follow the project tempo. (Bear with me here as this is important ;) 1. Here is a pic of my recorded part in Logic 9: [img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7636/screenshot20100728at120.png[/img] 2. I select the audio region and in the Inspector enable "Follow Tempo". Notice that I can adjust the transposition of the region now also: [img]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2382/screenshot20100728at121.png[/img] 3. Using the scissors tool I've split the region where I want to transpose/change the key just for this track. Select one of the regions and in the Inspector you can now double click in the empty value area next to Transposition and enter in a value specific for that region: [img]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2382/screenshot20100728at121.png[/img] 4. Repeat this for the regions as desired. Remember if you import your recordings into a new empty project Logic may not allow you to transpose or follow tempo on those bits of audio as it doesn't know what tempo it was recorded at. Hope this helps :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Also note, if you turn your performances into Apple loops (making them loopable) then you will get the same options in the Inspector. The tempo should NOT be off if when creating the Apple loops you specify the correct tempo of the project and the number of bars/beats. Do explore using the Pitch Shifter II plugin: Change the mix to 100% and adjust the semi tones or cents are desired. You can then easily automate the values or automate the bypass on the track as desired. :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: