macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieH
    Setting Mic Record Levels
    I am having a tough time finding the right levels for my mic (Neumann TMS 102 through Apogee Duet into Logic) it isn't picking up my voice well, no dynamic. I feel like I am recording at such a low level to avoid peaking and can't go any higher but I am not able to get the depth of the real vocal....HELP!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Setting Mic Record Levels
    Hi Jamie, My first piece of advice would be to make sure in Logic you are recording 24-bit: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio Next, I'd suggest turning on Phantom power in the Apogee Maestro settings... and using the Maestro to set the recording levels to a healthy amount. When recording at 24-bit depth you can afford to record at lower levels... If this is not helpful can you let me know in detail the settings you are using in the Maestro and what your process is in Logic? Thanks Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Hullo. I record so that the level in Logic is -16dB. Which allows plenty of headroom for processing the vocal later. I have read somewhere that the target should be -19dB. I've learnt to be safe and stay in the range. Maybe do some test recordings of a short few lines of your song rather than a whole track. I have found that it's always the ears that need to be satisfied after the technique has got you thereabouts. All the best.
  • JamieH
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response let me walk through your suggestions and then get back to you on getting some more information from you about the processes..... Thank you for taking time to for my question!
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Jamie! I agree with Logicluva that you don't need to record so hot (when recording at 24-bit depth)... so peaking at -12 for example would generally be fine. :) Rounik
  • JamieH
    @Rounik- So I make sure I was in 24-bit and i also enabled the independent monitoring while i was in the preferences and that as useful as well and i am now getting the sound i was looking for, thank you! I am still working with my record levels if you could give me some tips: In Mastero phantom is on and i am recording my normal singing at around 48, then my more intense singing i brought it down to 40 to avoid peaks. My line out level was kind of low though at -13. I am having a hard time balancing my mix sounds when i have a lot of piano and percussion then vox. My basic confusion is setting the line out level through mastero, setting the volume level in logic which should be what? and how do i know what i am hearing in my headphones isn't too loud or to soft and my mix level is where it should be as far as the master mix fader and logic's output volume? Thank you so much for your help, i didn't know people with real answers were out there! : ) I appreciate it so much, it is really pushing my progress along with the tutorials when i run into a problem. Jamie K
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, It sounds like you're getting the hang of it :) Recording at a healthy level is very important. I usually try to make sure when recording I don't peak above -12 or -6dB - for quiet and loud parts. You can always adjust the levels appropriately while mixing... Mic placement (and your body/instrument placement) when recording is also very important. For example, for a more intimate feel experiment when recording quiet vocal parts moving closer to the mic can help... likewise standing further away when singing very loudly is also advisable ;-) Generally you should keep the main Stereo output fader in Logic fixed at 0db. The level meter will go up and down depending on the signals from the other channels... and then mix the other channels to make sure you never exceed 0dB (the output channel going into the red). Many mixing engineers will leave something called headroom (space between 0dB and lower)... e.g. they would mix their song so it never exceeds -6 or -9dB. You can always turn up the volume on your headphones or monitor speakers... but it's so so important that the stereo output meter does NOT go into the red and you don't hear any distortion during playback. What you're hearing through your headphones is a relative volume - it's not important as this is how you are monitoring. The important aspect are the levels in Logic. Basically, adding loudness to a mix is normally done in the next stage "Mastering". Hope this helps & makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions and perhaps I can explain things more clearly :) Rounik
  • JamieH
    Your answers keep making great sense, that is why i keep asking you questions : ) that helped me understand mixing better, i was letting it go too hot. thank you! I have one more new question. I have a Korg padKontrol (drum pad) but i can't get it recognized correctly in logic. i have a Korg Triton LE 88 key keyboard i run midi sometimes and that works perfectly and is recognized automatically. although the padkontrol is recognized as a midi device in logic i can't figure out how to configure it correctly so it is useful, even when i went through the help section in logic i didn't know what to do. (Also to note the padKontrol works fine in Reason) Thank you again for your time, Jamie K
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Jamie! The more questions the better :) Could you post a new thread about the Korg PadKontrol... it helps others when searching with similar questions to find answers that way :) Could you also let me know in what way do you want to configure the PadKontrol (I assume as a control surface)? Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: