macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieH
    Steve your awesome, please help!
    I love your videos, just finished Music for Video Toolbox, awesome. I have a basic question for setting my recording levels. I am having a tough time finding the right levels for my mic (Neumann TMS 102 through Apogee Duet into Logic) it isn't picking up my voice well, no dynamic. I feel like I am recording at such a low level to avoid peaking and can't go any higher but I am not able to get the depth of the real vocal....HELP! I would love if you checked out my music too at any of these sites: http://www.youtube.com/user/jamiekcrawford http://www.jamiekcrawford.com
  • steveH
    Re: Steve your awesome, please hel...
    Hi Jamie, Thanks for loving my videos. I really appreciate your support! The TMS 102 is a very sensitive condenser mic and should be picking up every little sound wave that emanates from you mouth! All condenser mics need power that is served to them via their mic cables from the mixer or audio interface they are plugged into. This "power" is often labeled: 48 v, or Phantom Power and must be switched on in order for you TMS 102 to work. If you've already done that, then the issue might be a simple matter of mic placement. A condenser mic is best placed 6-8 inches from a vocalist's mouth (any closer and you will have to deal with a low frequency boost called the "proximity effect". Still, at 6-8 inches, the mic should be very sensitive and will require some sort of wind screen to eliminate plosives. A studio mic like the TMS also requires the artist to have good microphone technique: nuzzling up close for the soft stuff and pulling back or focussing off axis for louder stuff. Finally, there is always compression. You could apply a little light compression on the way in (if you use one of Logic's input channels). And, you will probably need some compression in the mix to even out level changes and bring the vocal more forward in the mix. I hope this helps! Steve H
  • JamieH
    Thank you for those great tips, I have the phantom and pop screen going, i think i must need to work on my mic technique, placement, and use of compression. Thanks for taking time for my question! And your humor while learning this "electronic" side of music really helps this classically trained pianist! Jamie K
  • steveH
    Me, humor... you MUST be mistaken.
  • JamieH
    LoL.....yeah... what was I thinking? : )
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: