macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kyjocuy
    gio and midi ports
    Hi folks, when I connected my M88 keyboard, my GIO fell off the system with error messages saying I had lost a MIDI port. Also I could not get my new expression pedal to work (Roland EV-5). As soon as I disconnected the keys, the GIO came back to life, but still no Exp pedal. It IS transmitting on Ch 11. Could someone please advise on the correct settings (in preferences/control surfaces I presume, or perhaps even the audio/midi applet), so that I can have MIDI keyboards and GIO+expression pedal? I am using all USB controllers, no MIDI cables. I am not using any GIO audio features at this stage. thanx folks. Steve
  • steveH
    Re: gio and midi ports
    Hey Awesome Wells, I'm taking delivery of a Gio in the next few days. I'll let you know if I encounter a similar problem. Steve H P.S. Have you tried the Apogee help desk website for more info: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ask-apogee-all.php
  • Kyjocuy
    Thanks Steve. My first stop was here, as I thought perhaps it was a common phenomenon. It seems that midi port allocation is dynamic. Every time I start Logic, any minor change causes a warning message to appear. This is a good idea in some ways, but becomes a pain very quickly. For example, my studio is being rebuilt, so currently I have to pick and choose bits of gear to use in my dining room. I might use the RME or the Saffire, either way I get a message about the other unit. If I don't fire up the Ipad, I get a message. If I use the GIO but not the keyboard, it's OK, but the other way around, I get a message... I have created a template song using one particular gear combination, but I still get an error message. My guts tell me that I can make a permanent allocation of resources using the control surfaces preferences, but I have not yet delved into that. USB is supposedly happy to daisy-chain, but perhaps not when talking MIDI. Once again, note that I am not using the GIO for audio, just as a system controller. Thanks for your help. I will send a query to the Apogee support team. Steve
  • steveH
    Please let me know what they say! I believe your right tho... there is some sort of software automatic link between the two devices in order for the Gio to dynamically allocate the proper connections (read: midi fader/control data) for the the pedalboard plug in.
  • Kyjocuy
    I am impressed that this stuff works at all...really we are asking a hell of a lot from these robots, and as a consequence the programmers have to leave hundreds of routines ticking over just in case we decide to plug something in! They build in the general, but I think it is up to us to finesse the specific. I am sure there are settings that will make me happy, I just feel that the process of eliminating all of the wrong choices is tooooo excruciating, and therefore I ask the eggspurts for help (after all, I could be making music, not spending an hour or several actually learning this shit!). Of course, I will probably be watching "live at Abbey Road" while someone else fixes my problem, but then I am an old fart who remembers when the actual Beatles recorded there. Did I ever tell you about the time I applied for a job there?......wake me up for my pill, dear.
  • steveH
    LOL from one who has been there too!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: