macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieH
    Korg Padkontrol and Logic
    New thread... New question : ) I have a Korg padKontrol (drum pad) but i can't get it recognized correctly in logic. i have a Korg Triton LE 88 key keyboard i run midi sometimes and that works perfectly and is recognized automatically. although the padkontrol is recognized as a midi device in logic i can't figure out how to configure it correctly so it is useful, even when i went through the help section in logic i didn't know what to do. (Also to note the padKontrol works fine in Reason) I connect it via USB as a midi control surface. Here is what just happened when I connected it with logic open via usb.Made a midi channel in record mode set to open library. Library opens and file folders pop up in Media>Library tab on Right Hand side. They are: "abelton live" (empty) "GM Device" (has 16 sounds in it) "Other objects" "padkontrol CTRL" which then has 16channels (i dont know what they mean) and "padkontrol midi out" (again with 16 channels i don't know what they mean) and "reason adapted" (empty) and the normal library sounds aren't an option either. i hear nothing when i record midi this way although it shows in the piano roll that there are notes being written. My confusion here is probably confusing you. if you could start at the beginning of how the heck to set up this control surface correctly or how to check and see how it is currently set up in logic that would be awesome. Thank you! Jamie K
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Korg Padkontrol and Logic
    Hey Jamie, Thanks for posting this again in a new thread! OK... I suspect the PadKontrol MIDI Controller does not come with it's own onboard sounds... so you need to use it to send MIDI messages to Logic which will trigger Logic (or 3rd party) software instruments. Firstly, with everything connected, when you press a button on the PadKontrol do you see any MIDI info coming in to Logic in the Transport display? Hopefully, it is note Create a new software instrument track. If no instrument is on that track, insert an Ultrabeat (or any instrument of your choice). Tap a button on the PadKontrol and you should hear sounds from the Ultrabeat kit. If you don't then we'll have to backtrack... but basically it sounds like you created an External MIDI track. This is useful for using External MIDI devices that not only generate MIDI note information but also have their own onboard sounds. Let me know how you get on :) Rounik
  • JamieH
    yeah.... you were right again thank you! It works great now. I just don't know how it assigns what sounds to what keys (since there are only 16 pads) does it just randomly choose in logic what sound goes to what pad for the midi instrument? when i assign my 88 keyboard to the same sounds how does it tell the difference between midi hardware? (just curious, but my main problem was solved thank you! i can write my own beats now! ) Jamie k
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, It's normally down to the MIDI hardware as to what MIDI message each pad/knob/key sends out. I'm curious. If you press the 'lowest' pad on the Korg does it output a C1? (You can check this info by looking in Logic's Transport display). C1 is a standard kick drum for most MIDI devices... you'll find in Ultrabeat and EXS24 that drum instruments have the kick mapped to C1, rim to C#1, snare to D1, etc. :) Rounik p.s. you can always use the power of the Environment to change that if the PadKontrol doesn't come with any library software to map it's pads ;-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: