macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Alex Commins
    Transferring Project Between Logic and Pro Tools
    Situation: My project is in Logic. My vocalist is on the other side of the continent I Want to add her vocal to my project She only has access to studios with Pro Tools where she is Basically all I need is a 24 bit Wav of her vocal track I could then just drag her vocal audio file (24 bit Wav) into my project I will use my iDisk for transferring files/project Question: Is there a way to accomplish what I want? If so, what method(s) would you recommend to do? One thing â I would think that she would have to make her own comp of her vocal takes in Pro Tools and then make it into one audio file for me to drag into my project (that is, I couldnât take a Pro Tools take folder (doesnât the newest Pro Tools comp now like Logicâs âcomp swipingâ ability?) and drag it (the "un-comped" takes recorded in Pro Tools) into my Logic project because that aspect of the programs (takes and comping) would not be compatible, I would think. If so, this would be one drawback, because I would be mixing the song, so I would like to choose the final comping of her takes. But that just might be the way it is. Thanks, as always -- Alex
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Transferring Project Between L...
    Hi Alex, Sure this sounds very possible. Make sure you're both using the sample rate in your respective projects. Bounce your track from 1 1 1 1 to the end and give her the single file as a backing track. When the vocalist records different takes ask her to export the separate takes as individual audio files as wave 24 bit. Then you can load the audio files into your project and place each audio file directly above each other... select them all and choose to Pack into a Take Folder. :) Rounik
  • Alex Commins
    Thanks. Now what you said to do is, I think, exactly what I was thinking to do: that all she needs to do is import into Pro Tools a bounce of my project to listen to as she records her takes. So, here's what I want to make sure about regarding my bounce -- my project has let's say, four tracks (each a 24 bit Wav file). When I bounce all four tracks to one file, what type of file do I bounce them as (to send to her), and do I keep it as 24 bit (or dither to 16 bit)? I'm sure I keep the bounce as a 24 bit file, but just want to make sure. Thus: 1. Should I bounce as 24 bit or 16 bit? 2. Should I choose WAV or AIFF (remember, my project is WAV files)? 3. Or what? In other words, when I go to the bounce function in Logic, what type of tile do I choose to bounce them as (WAV or AIFF).? My guess is that I would bounce as a 24 bit Wav. And I'll make sure we have the same sample rate And that is a great idea of how to have her do takes and then I import them (each as an individual audio file - 24 bit Wav) and then pack a take folder. 4. So, just to a make sure about her recording her takes -- she does need to record each take as a different track and then send me a separate 24 bit Wav of each track -- And again - I am so happy to be a member of MacProVideo -- y'all are THE BEST
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alex, Thanks for the kind words :) Yes, you're correct... This should be the simplest method. ok. so regarding bouncing... 1. 24bit or 16bit- either is good. This is just a reference track for her. 24bit will be 50% larger file size. She won't be sending you back this file, so it's only for her reference. many people send mp3's - so it's really your preference. 2. Wave or Aiff would be fine. Makes no difference for you or for Pro tools. If you're happy enough to be using Wav then stick to wav. 3. Nothing :)... oh, ok, ... make sure the output channel doesn;t clip (go into the red) & just remember to start the bounce from 1 1 1 1. Even if there is no audio at that point, start from the beginning so you can easily line up the start of the track. 4. Ask your vocalist to either record takes or each take to a separate track. If recording takes make sure she exports each take as an individual audio file. If recording each take to a new track or recording a take folder make sure she begins recording at 1 1 1 1. It doesn't matter if there is empty space but it's important that when she sends you the audio files, you know where to place them in your project! It's not easy if she begins recording at 17 3 4 106...! Much better to begin recording at 1 1 1 1 or definitely export the track from 1 1 1 1. :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: