macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Fallerboy
    Quantize killed my song! Emergency!!
    Hi everyone, So I have a real problem. I was watching the tutorial Logic 101. I decided to experiment on my track while watching by trying to quantize my bass and guitar region just to experiment. It made the track sound terrible!The tracks would pop and click. I tried to change the track back but I can't do it!!! I did not even save my song while experimenting but when I open the song my tracks still are screwed up!How is that possible? Are the tracks permanently damaged? Therefore, quantization is risky because you can't reverse it. Even when I open a backup of the project from the day before it still screws around with the tracks I experimented with. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change tracks back to their original form. Need help asap so I don't have to record the tracks all over again! Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Quantize killed my song! Emerg...
    Hi Fallerboy, Did you quantize audio or MIDI regions? Did you use the Quantize features in the Inspector or in the Piano Rolls menu bar? Quantize (from the Inspector) is non-destructive... How did you turn off the Quantize? Have you got flex turned on? Try turning it off for the affected tracks. If you listen to the original audio recordings in the Bin, do they sound affected? If not then you could always import those into a new project until we figure out what has happened. Lastly can you let me know the exact version of Logic and OSX you're running. Thanks Rounik
  • Fallerboy
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am quantizing an audio track from the sample editor. Flex mode is turned off. One thing to point out is that I am quantizing a comp track by moving the comp to a new track so that I can open it in the sample editor(not sure is this is a problem). I can't reverse the problem using the audio bin because the take is affected there too. I am trying to reverse the quantizing by turning it off on track in sample editor.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Fallerboy, I'm sorry to say, you've learned a very important lesson the hard way: Most of the functions in the Sample Editor are destructive! They will alter your original audio files for good. It's mentioned a few times in the Logic 101 tutorial... ... but it's better to learn now than later. Personally, I never use the Sample Editor to apply fades, quantize, etc as the quality of the Flex engine is better IMHO. If you do want to reverse audio files, invert, change gain in the Sample Editor then always make backups or save copies of your original audio files. You can do this in Bin or the Sample Editor window under the Audio File window. btw, any editing done in the Arrange area is non-destructive and will not alter the audio file. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    oh, btw there are some non-destructive ways to use Logic's Sample Editor: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/5-nondesctructive-ways-logic-pro-sample-editor[/url] :) Rounik
  • Fallerboy
    Hi, Thanks for the info.! At least I now know where I went wrong. It actually puts mind to rest! I have another noob question. What is a better non-destructive way to quantize audio then? I'm guessing it would be using the flex time feature, but doesn't that require individually editing all along the waveform in the track? I was hoping to experiment with quantizing the whole track with one click. Thanks!
  • Fallerboy
    I answered my own question with a little research. I go to the track turn flex time on, set to mono (guitar track) and then quantize menu is available in inspector. One last question! Why when I am dealing with a comp can I not use this feature? Also, if I have a comp, how to I convert it to a regular track so that I can make alterations? Do I just use the flatten and merge feature?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Fallerboy, It really depends what kind of editing you want to apply to your audio recording. Most useful editing functions can be easily done within the Arrange area. You mention Flex... You can flex a takes within a comp folder. There's more to the flex feature than meets the eye... You can turn Flex view on from the View > Flex menu or in the Inspector for Region parameters, turn it on and off per region or for the track parameters in the Inspector you can select the Flex mode. Flex mode really works by track, so make sure to have the track header selected and remember that you can't flex the comp, but you can flex the individual takes within the Comp Folder. When you're done comping multiple takes and if you want to flatten them to a single audio file, click on the downward pointing triangle in the top right of the Take Folder and choose Flatten / Flatten and Merge. There are other ways to edit audio and even quantize within the Arrange area. e.g. Strip Silence and then quantizing the regions can work very well with rhythmic elements. You can find this info in videos 129-133 of the Logic 101 - which I believe you've got access to? If you have a subscription or the Flex Time tutorial download check it out for deeper Flex knowledge! [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9104[/url] It's very cool! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: