macProVideo.com
Forums
  • yan
    Quick question on filter slopes
    I was checking out Logic's Synthesizer Basics section, specifically the filter slope page (545) in the instruments manual. I was also checking out emusicians 'basic guide to synthesizer filters' and noticed that their diagram (mid page)is the opposite to Logic's in terms of cut-off slopes. [url]http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_passing/[/url] Logic's are 6db, 12db, 24db Emuscians go 24db, 12db, 6db If anybody could check that out, that'll be great. Thanks Ps say I set the cut-off slope to 6db per octave. That means the 1st octave is attenuated by 6db, though is the next octave attenuated by 12db and then 24db and so on, does it accumulate like that?
  • Hamish H
    Re: Quick question on filter slope...
    Hi It looks like a misprint in the Logic manual, 6db per octave should give the shallowest slope, 24 db per octave should be the steepest. The shelving is linear, so for a 6db per octave slope, octave 1 is -6db, octave 2 is -12db, octave 3 is -18 db, octave 4 is -24db and so on. if you open a channel EQ and choose the low pass filter you can try all the slope settings to see what each one looks (and sounds) like. Hope that helps! Hamish
  • yan
    Thanks for the help Hamish, its a lot more clearer now. I thought there was something dodgy about the the Logic diagram and you describing the shelving per octave made it very obvious.
  • Hamish H
    No problem! I'm really interested in synths at the moment, so it was at the front of my mind!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: