macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bavyxoo
    Beat Mapping Glitches
    Hi guys I've been working with the beat mapping midi tutorial. It all makes sense. When I follow the steps exactly, some weird stuff is happening on my end. I set things up correctly, then occasionally when I map a beat to the correct line, the program shifts my actual midi note. i.e. sometimes I'll play a chord, and it'll split the chord up into individual notes. It changes the actual position of the midi notes. Perhaps there's something is a preference menu with regard to beat mapping that I don't know about? Thank you Misha
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Beat Mapping Glitches
    Hi Misha, Sounds odd... do you mean the MIDI notes in your MIDI region are moved, or the MIDI note display in the Beat Mapping area of the Global Tracks? Can you upload a screenshot or two to show what's happening... Also just to remind me, you're running Logic 9.1.1 in 32-bit mode, right? :) Rounik
  • Bavyxoo
    Yes, I'm using that version of Logic, though I think I'm in 24 bit How do I make a screen shot? I'll do that. To clarify, what's happening is that I drag the yellow line to my midi notes in the beat mapping line, then the midi notes in the actual region move so that a chord, for example, becomes separated and played as some kind of uneven arpeggio Thanks! Misha
  • Bavyxoo
    basically it feels as though there's some kind of involuntary quantizing happening, some kind of setting that I'm unaware of that needs to be turned off...I think
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Misha, To upload pictures here follow the steps in this thread: [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=15243[/url] Do you have Quantization turned on for your MIDI region... or on any of the notes? This can cause the issue you mention. Make sure to turn off Quantization for the region in the Inspector and/or in the Piano Roll. This should work properly now... :) R
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh, I should mention there are some very comprehensive ways to take screenshots in Mac OSX. You can find out more about these here (videos 33-41): [url]http://www.nedwebserver.com/ned-web/macos10201&asv=33&popup&site=MPV&sid=8g8c36knd15c1ejs566ksn3hp6[/url] :) Rounik
  • Bavyxoo
    [img]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2087/screenshot1k.png[/img][img]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8373/screenshot2sx.png[/img] OK. so the first example was simple two note chords played along to the click. for the purpose of this example, I only delayed the last chord (beat one on bar 5), knowing that was the one I wanted to map. 1st problem: it changed the tempo of the whole track, rather than just before bar 5 2nd problem: it doesn't display my triads, in the beat map menu, it looks as though I only played 1 note at a time this is actually a different set of issues than I had previously written about, but still funky and likely related to my previous issues. Thanks Rounik!
  • steveH
    Beat mapping creates tempo changes BETWEEN the virtual, yellow lines that you create along the time line in the beat mapping global track. These vertical line act as tempo anchor points. If you are looking to beat map a section that is further down the timeline, and you haven't yet set any vertical anchors, Logic will assume that you want to change the tempo from the beginning of the track to place those wayward notes way down the timeline on a beat (or grid line). So, in order keep the tempo the same or anchored from the beginning of the project until you get to those off-the-beat notes you need to create a yellow, vertical anchors all the way along your project so that by the time you get to those wayward notes down the timeline the tempo will only change between those notes and vertical tempo anchor immediately to their left. At the very least create a vertical anchor at the very beginning of your project, and if you are sure that everything else is on the grid, create another vertical anchor a beat or 3 before the wayward notes before beatmapping those notes. Remember: beat mapping doesn't move the notes to the beat, it moves the grid (by creating tempo changes) to the notes. In your example what you really need to do is some MIDI editing! Steve H
  • Bavyxoo
    Thanks Steve That makes a lot of sense. With regard to the other question, in screenshot 2, why are the two note chords displayed in the beat map region as one event, rather than two separate ones as on your tutorial where the chord tones can all be mapped to individually? Also, when I try to do another take (alternative 2), it shifts the actual performance. Check out bar 5 again and note that in the time indicator, it hits at about 14 and a half seconds, which is where I performed it, then in take two, it moved the performance of that chord back to exactly 14 seconds [img]http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/1356/screenshot20100819at110.png[/img][img]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1356/screenshot20100819at110.png[/img]
  • steveH
    The transport is showing seconds and frames of the playhead in its SMPTE display. To really check the SMPTE position of notes you need to see them in the piano roll editor or the event list, or, bring up an Event Float window and click on the notes in the piano roll. I think that you'll find that they have retained their original position.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: