macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    missing notes
    I've just encountered an odd glitch, which may or may not be Logic specific. I use a Korg Triton Extreme as my midi keyboard, and at first I thought it was having problems. The G2 and A2 notes have started working erratically. I tested the Triton on a pile of its own patches, and they work fine, but when I'm in Logic 9, those notes using Logic's instruments or my third-party instruments produce mostly silence (not always - every 5th or 6th time I hit one of those keys, it will operate properly). I've tried a couple of projects, and they all react the same. This just happened in the past 12 hours. In the transport bar, the midi area shows the "no note" symbol, the note I'm hitting, and the velocity stays at 64, regardless of how hard I press the keys. I'm not sure where to look in terms of this kind of (potentially) midi issue.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: missing notes
    Hi Sammy, If Logic's Transport is not receiving the G2 and A2 then it sounds like an issue with the MIDI being sent from the Korg... If you open Garageband can you receive the A2 and G2 notes there? :) R
  • Gorynui
    Everything works fine in Garageband, so I guess that points to it being midi specific within Logic..? Maybe it's time to reload all of Logic, though I've got a deadline today, so my slightly cumbersome workaround will have to do until tomorrow. I'm recording all my parts an octave higher, then dragging them manually to where they should reside afterward... Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sammy, That's odd... Have you checked in your Environment's Clicks and Ports layer that nothing (transformers etc) are amiss..? When you record the A2 and G2 open the Event List and see if you can locate those notes there. Are they coming into Logic on a different channel? Also good idea to check in your preferences > MIDI where you can also reset your MIDI drivers... Another workaround tip, that will be easier than dragging: - Deselect all regions in the Arrange are. - In the MIDI Thru area of the Inspector set Transposition to -12. Now all MIDI based recordings will be transposed one octave down. - Also, you can select all regions and transpose them all down relatively by -12 too... If you need the Piano Roll and Score to show the correct note you can create your own Transformer set: - Open the Piano Roll and choose Functions > Transform > Reverse Pitch - Change the Flip to SUB. (for subtract) and set the value to 12 (NOT -12) - From the Presets menu choose "Create User Initialised Set" and choose Rename. Set a name and now this transformer set will be available in your project. :) Rounik p.s. before you consider re-installing try trashing Logic's preferences...
  • Gorynui
    Well, thanks for all your suggestions. So far, nothing has solved the issue. I just tried dumping preferences, but still the same off notes. I rarely look at the Environment. It bothers my digestive system and makes me nervous. I really wasn't sure what to look for in there, but I took a couple of screen shots, which I'll attempt to upload. I'd really love to avoid reloading, but it may be the solution. I'll try Apple tomorrow, as I think I'm still in my 90 days for the Logic upgrade. I wasn't sure where to post the photos, so I used Facebook, and I don't think we have to be "friends" to check them out: (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=469536&id=770055579&l=c595bac9a3)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dave, I saw the pics... odd... So they are coming into Logic ok. What instrument is on your Channel strip? Have you tried restarting your Mac and then creating a blank/empty project (not a customised template)? btw, you can upload pics direct to the forum by following these instructions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=15243[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Gorynui
    I tried restarting after removing prefs again, into a blank project, but it still happens. It happens with any instrument on the channel strips - when it first popped up, I had 60+ tracks, with many orchestral instruments, plus some of my VSL and Omnisphere, as well as a pile of sound fx from various sources. Next up: the Apple help folks for their assistance. I find them hot and cold in terms of their experience and skills. Usually better than me, but not necessarily geniuses... I'm also concerned that my tower is acting somewhat sluggish. Maybe I've been infected by something malicious.
  • Gorynui
    Is there any way to open Logic, without my third party instruments? I don't have many: Omnisphere, bit of VSL and EastWest. Taking them out of the equation might help clear things up.
  • Gorynui
    I just checked my Activity Monitor, at a friend's suggestion, and it shows one item - "coreaudiod" - highlighted in red, and Not Responding. Could this be the problem?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dave, You can 'bypass' Audio Units in Logic's Audio Unit Manager: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio Unit Manager. See if that helps... but it sounds like you may have an issue with CoreAudio driver on your Mac. Is Core Audio enabled in Logic? It must be... but you can check in Preferences > Audio > Core Audio and make sure that DAE and direct TDM are NOT enabled. Do you have a clone system you can work on and test? Personally, what I would do is backup ALL my important files and folder to an external drive and make a clone of my system to another drive (time permiting). Then insert the Snow Leopard DVD (or disc that came with your Mac) and do a full format of the system drive and re-install OSX and Logic from scratch. This would take some time... but it sound like something funky is going on and I'd always recommend cleaning up your system... though you may want to try a repair permissions first if you haven't already done so. Let me know how you get on. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: