macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    Re: missing notes
    Why clone the drive? Wouldn't that copy any damaged files too? And how is that done exactly? Today I booted from the Install disk and used Disk Utility to check and repair the drive, which it says it did successfully. It did give a list of a couple dozen funky permissions things, but I don't know what they refer to... Afterward, the Coreaudio thing still was showing up as a problem in Activity Monitor. One friend suggested something called Applejack, which I downloaded, but I don't know much about it either. Maybe I'll just do the back-up and re-installation thing.
  • Rounik Admin
    True. Cloning the drive now may copy any damaged file - if it is a file that is damaged... But better be safe than sorry. It's a good idea to keep a backup/clone of your working system ;-) I use Carbon Copy Cloner (free) to clone my drive. Simply install it. Connect an external drive and choose to clone the system drive to a free partition on that drive. Then you can reboot from that clone if you ever need to.. or restore from the clone if needed. I haven't come across AppleJack before either... Onyx is a good utility to use. Hope the reinstall goes well... I'd suggest formatting your drive before re-installing btw. :) Rounik
  • Gorynui
    Do you know any programs that could check each file to see if one is corrupted or somehow infected? Around the time this issue arose, I had been grabbing a pile of sound fx audio files from some Creative Commons and paid sites. Maybe that's not connected at all, but it sparked my suspicions.
  • Rounik Admin
    You mean a virus or malware checker?.. I've not come across any Mac malware... well I remember a widespread report when iWork 09 was released some torrents began hosting cracked copies and apparently contained malware... but I've never had an infection on my Macs so have never investigated ant-virus software personally. I'd look at some common names I've heard. e.g. Clamxav [url]http://www.clamxav.com/[/url] But I've never used it so couldn't vouch for it. It could be caused by a corruption of some sort rather than a malicious virus. Either way, a complete format and reinstallation of OSX and Logic should work.
  • Gorynui
    So I took the time to clone the drive, cleaned off the old one and reloaded the OS and Logic, and my notes have returned! Thanks for these suggestions. I just wish this had happened on a non-deadline week...
  • Rounik Admin
    Excellent news Dave!! Really glad to hear it! Now a few tips on maintaining your system: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] ... and keep a clone backup of your (now healthy) system. This means if something goes amiss during a deadline week you can boot-up from that system (System Preferences > Startup Disk) and continue working along :) ... but, I'm just happy to know it's all working well for you now! :) Rounik
  • Gorynui
    Well, the link worked the second time around, and I tried the disk permissions thing to see what could help with the latest series of calamities. It has been a stressful day. I currently can't get into any Logic projects. I get several messages now: http://img833.imageshack.us/i/coremidi.png/,http://img227.imageshack.us/i/insufficientaccessprivi.png/,http://img828.imageshack.us/i/midiservices.png/,http://img291.imageshack.us/i/miditimeout.png/ I suspect my cloning and migration didn't go correctly, as I'm also having trouble finding and/or getting access to some folders (Downloads, Documents). I hope I don't have to repeat the whole process...
  • Gorynui
    And I apologize for the photo links, or lack thereof. I initially copied and pasted exactly what imageshack called the photos, but was warned they weren't the proper format, so I deleted the [img] stuff and separated the four by commas.
  • Rounik Admin
    What do you by "migration"... 1. did you use the Migration Assistant to transfer Logic etc to your newly formatted system drive? I'm hoping you say 'No'... it's always a better idea to install programs like Logic fresh... and move your data manually. Sounds like some serious audio interface issues. 2. Have you installed the latest updates for Logic and OSX? What versions are you running now? 3. Have you installed the latest drivers for your audio interface(s)? What interfaces are these? 4. btw, when you erased your HD did you format it too? 5. Have you done a new repair permissions? Thanks Rounik
  • Gorynui
    Well, I checked several forums regarding the warnings I received, and got a few similar threads with one solution: dumping a particular extension, the DigiDioMidiDriver, which I assume is a DigiDesign item. I found 4 copies of this, so I deleted 3 and moved one to the desktop, just in case. For the first time in 3 days, I can work in Logic! I haven't had Pro Tools on here for a year, so it shouldn't be a problem. But to answer your questions: 1. For music apps, I reloaded from the original disks, then moved relevant data by hand. 2. I just bought Logic 9 two months ago, so I think it's up to date, and the OSX combo upgrade that happened after reloading from disks took me back to 10.5.8, where I was before, though I don't know if it's the same build. 3. I got new drivers for my Korg keyboard and M-Audio Firewire 410, which I hadn't updated in a while. But at the moment, everything appears to be hunky dory. Thanks for all your help and ideas on this one! It was a doozie, and I'm surprised I didn't throw the tower off my balcony.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: