macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SamiS
    Laying down chords quickly
    Is there an easy way to lay down chords quickly in a midi track? I just want to be able to sketch out a song without having to lay down each of the individual notes for a chord. Ideally, I would just be able to pull down a chord from a menu and insert it and the full set of midi notes would appear. I noticed that chord memorizer may be able to do this for me, but that I would have to map midi notes to chords and that seems like a lot of trouble to go through. I was hoping there was a native feature that allowed me to do this directly.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Laying down chords quickly
    In the Score Editor's Inspector - specifically in the Part Box you'll see the chord grid. Click on that. Now you can drag a chord grid symbol directly onto your Score. The Chord Grid Library window opens. Select the chord and click OK. --- You can also use the Step Input Keyboard and switch it to chord mode to enter in chords... Or enable the MIDI IN button (in Score/Piano Roll) and use a MIDI Keyboard. Not sure which of these will end up being quickest for you? :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Actually, there is a quicker way! 1. Use the Chords Global Track to analyze your chosen MIDI region(s)... and amend any chords as necessary. 2. Open the Score Editor and choose: Functions > Insert Chords from Global Chords Track Hope that helps Rounik
  • SamiS
    Rounik, That is the way I tried it initially. That was a disaster. As soon as you do the global chord analyze function, it seems to apply it's best best chords to all the Midi tracks and transforms all of them to something weird (not sure what it is doing). I did not realize this and so spent 2 hours fixing this. The manual seems to have some oblique warning about this in the section on Global Chords...but, of course, I only read the manual after I could not figure it out on my own from the (very nice) interface. -Sami
  • SamiS
    Replying to an earlier message regarding "Step Input Keyboard"...that is a really nice feature. I was not aware of that one before. Very nice feature. Thanks. Still, what would be even nicer is if I could pull down chords into a track in the same way that can be done in the score window. I don't suppose there is an easy way to do that, huh? In other words, it would be nice if the Step Input Keyboard had a mode to specify chords using the same convenient feature that the score window has. The reason that this would be nice is that I often compose while I am on the road (like on an airplane) when it is not convenient to pull out a midi keyboard. -Sami
  • Rounik Admin
    To be honest, The easiest ways I know of are to use the step input keyboard or input the notes in manually in the Piano Roll or drag chords from the Part Box in the Score Editor... It would be possible to rig something up in the Environment I guess... would require a fair bit of work to create it but then you can save it to a template and then have access to it in all future projects. btw, did you know about the Capslock Keyboard? Press the caps lock key to view it - and then use your querty keys to input/trigger notes... It might help? :) Rounik
  • SamiS
    Replying to an earlier message regarding "Step Input Keyboard"...that is a really nice feature. I was not aware of that one before. Very nice feature. Thanks. Still, what would be even nicer is if I could pull down chords into a track in the same way that can be done in the score window. I don't suppose there is an easy way to do that, huh? In other words, it would be nice if the Step Input Keyboard had a mode to specify chords using the same convenient feature that the score window has. The reason that this would be nice is that I often compose while I am on the road (like on an airplane) when it is not convenient to pull out a midi keyboard. -Sami
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sami, Seems you duplicated your post from earlier on the 28th... was that your intended reply? :) R
  • SamiS
    Not sure why the double post. Must have clicked the wrong button somewhere. Sorry. Yes, I do know about CAPSLOCK keyboard. Another very nice feature. I LOVE Logic 9.1.1 and I think the video tutorial series is amazing. -Sami
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs! & Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it! :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: