macProVideo.com
Forums
  • B_A_capacity
    MIDI Setup
    I have a Korg Triton Extreme and a Roland Fantom G6. I hope to grow to the place where I can use sounds from both of them and sequence music on my Logic Studio software. I believe I have version 8 at present but I could upgrade to version 9. I hope to learn how to hook them both up through MIDI cables so that I could play sounds into the Logic sequencer software and make songs. I hope to learn how to use the drum patterns and drum loops within Logic along with the sounds I play from my two keyboards. Does anyone have the patience to teach me how to set up the MIDI cables so that I can hear something? Also, my iMac has no MIDI port, only USB port...
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MIDI Setup
    Hi LogicPro baby step! & Welcome to the forums :) There are a couple of things you need so that you can connect your keyboards to your Mac. 1. A MIDI interface or a simple MIDI to USB device. I believe M-Audio and Motu sell economical MIDI interfaces. You'll need at least 2in and 2out (one for each of your MIDI synths). 2. Another good idea is an audio interface. This will enable to you take the audio output from the MIDI keyboards into Logic... because MIDI is only instruction or numerical values that trigger the sounds of any MIDI instrument. The audio or sound that comes out of the Triton needs to be routed into Logic if you want to hear the Triton's audio through Logic. I wouldn't be able to recommend an audio interface without knowing more about your needs (e.g. do you want to be able to record multiple instruments/band members simultaneously), budget, etc. Some audio interfaces also act as MIDI interfaces too :) Once you have a MIDI interface you can connect it to your Mac and download any drivers (if needed and recommended by the interface). Personally, as Logic can have a 'steep learning curve', I'd recommend learning a bit about Logic first... or even start with Garageband. For Logic, I'd highly recommend watching the Logic 8 101 tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] Or check out the Garageband tutorial on our tutorials page too. But let me know when you have the abilitiy to connect the MIDI keyboards to an interface and your Mac, and if you need any help at that stage. Hope this helps Rounik
  • B_A_capacity
    Thanks Rounik! I now have the MOTU FastLane-USB Interface and it is working perfectly. I have my Fantom G6 as Port A and my Triton as Port B and I can hear them both and record and play them within Logic. (I first tried the MIDISPORT Anniversary 2x2 but something was wrong with Port B and apparently I'm not the only one to have had that problem). I'm not ready for audio yet... that will come later hopefully. Meanwhile, I have a lot to learn. Thanks again for helping me get set up.
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem! let us know if you need any more help or just wanna chat Logic, etc! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: