macProVideo.com
Forums
  • spen1
    newbee on logic express
    I'm just getting started with Logic Express 7 and I'm trying to get my keyboards to work with the program. I went through the tutorial "getting to know the invironment" about setting up multi instruments but to no avail. I got the Quicktime synth to work for awhile, but even that didn't sound the last time that I selected it on my arrangement window. I'm getting MIDI signal, but no sound. I went back through the tutorial a couple of times, but I can't find what I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: newbee on logic express
    Hi spen1, Welcome to the forums :) What is your MIDI Keyboard? I would suggest starting a blank new project and following the tutorial step-by-step. How is your keyboard connected to your Mac? Thanks Rounik
  • spen1
    I want to use a Roland Juno G through an Edirol UM-1SX Midi Interface. I would also like to hook up my Yamaha Motif-Rack ES through a USB connection. Thanks, Spen1
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spen1, It's easier to provide assistance if you can detail your steps. e.g. How you have connected the Juno to the UM-1SX. How this is connected to the Mac... Then what you do when you start a project in Logic... step by step... I don't have access to Logic 7 anymore... and Logic 8 and 9 have made setting up tracks etc a lot easier... but hopefully if you can provide a step-by-step we'll be able to see where you may be missing something. Best Rounik
  • spen1
    Sure. The Edirol is connected to the Juno G by way of MIDI in/out and is connected to the mac through a USB port on the computer keyboard. After I open a new file in L.E., I go to the Environment window and "create" in the layers menu. Then I name the new layer "juno" and add a multi instrument from the "New" menu. I then enable all 16 channels by clicking on them to remove the slashes. The next part of the tutorial is a little confusing to me. I think that I'm supposed to add an instrument from the New menu, so that's what I do. Then I cable the instrument to the multi instrument. L.E. asks me if I want to remove the channels port setting and I click "Remove". Next, I click on channel 1 of the multi instrument. After that, I enable the "Program" box by checking it. The last thing that I do is go to the Arrangement window and click on track 9 (Inst 1)to select the juno layer and channel "0". I get MIDI signal but no sound. -spen1
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi spen1 Thanks for the extra detail. It's extremely helpful... So, you have setup Logic to receive MIDI from your Juno perfectly... Remember that MIDI is just instruction data. It isn't sound. It only tells a MIDI device what sound to play and how loud to play it and for how long, etc. If you want the sounds produced by your Juno to also come in to Logic then you need to connect the line-outs from the Juno into the inputs on your audio interface. Then in Logic, create a new audio track with the correct inputs set and click on the record enable button. Now you will be able to monitor the sound produced by the Juno. Hope this helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: