macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Greg M
    Bounce issues
    Hi This is my first input to the forum so apologies if the question (or solution) is a bit simple, or been discussed before..please be nice to the new guy as he is a recent traveller from Cubase! I recently had problems bouncing some tracks in a project. Most bounced fine but some produced nothing at all on the created audio track. After lots of bounces removing various plug ins e.t.c, I isolated the cause as Logics gate plug in. Bounce with it active, nothing, bounce with it bypassed and all fine. I got around this by sending it out to a buss and printing that, no great shakes, then I had the same problem this week bouncing an EVOC 20 track. Now I had the EVOC sidechained to a hi hat loop and the gates were sidechained too, is this the cause (although compressors sidechained dont have a problem), is it a bug, or is it (most likely) user error? Also, although not really a logic prob so I apologise again, I have major problems with my e-lisencer. I have to delete it and re-install it every time I start up my mac otherwise it fails when logic opens with an 'unknown exemption error caught'. sometimes i have to repeat this 3 times before it works (a major pain when all I want to do is start up and get going)I have tried every other forum, contacted steinberg e.t.c but can not find a single other case of this anywhere..any chance any of you wise people might know a solution? Thanks a lot Greg P.S I have wasted much money in the past on things that I thought would help my production skills, MPV has to be the best investment I have EVER made, keep up the great work...would love to see some Tips and Tricks vids on specific areas like creating basses / leads e.t.c
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Bounce issues
    Hi Greg, Welcome to the forums! We're nice to everyone here... even Cubase users so no need to worry ;-) The bounce issue... what version of Logic and OSX are you using? I would try this: Solo the track and then try bouncing in offline mode and then bounce in real-time. You'll notice that any track which depends on real time triggering (i.e. sidechaining via another source) will need to have both tracks soloed and bouncing in realtime is then a good idea. Let me know how you get on. I'm sorry but I have no idea about an e-Licenser for Logic. (The USB based copy protection was discontinued from Logic 8 onwards) I could only recommend a couple of things: 1. Try repairing permissions: [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] 2. Try plugging the USB key into a different USB port? Another option is to see if you can get an exchange from Apple - but I'd need to know the version of Logic you are running before offering any accurate advice. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Greg M
    Hi Rounik Thanks for reply. Ill try the bounce suggestions tomorrow. Like i said its no 'major' issue as i can just send and print if needed. Im using Logic 9 on Snow L. I didnt explain myself well with the e-licenser. Its the dongle license I need to run my refx plug ins not logic itself. Its just fustrating having to reload it everytime (and i have tried everything) and thought id just ask here. I didnt have high expectations of finding a solution but hey, no harm in asking. Thanks again Greg
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Greg, No probs! Just wanted to check you are running the latest version of Logic 9 as well (9.1.1) and Snow leopard 10.6.4? Do you know about the Bounce in Place feature in Logic 9? This makes printing to audio really, really easy! --- Ah, I see the refx plugin... hmmm not sure I'm afraid. Have you contacted refx directly? They might be able to suggest something. I'd still highly recommend repairing permissions anyway! Cheers Rounik
  • Greg M
    im running latest logic but havent done latest snow leopard update yet. I will update it tom then do permissions. i havent done that in ages to be honest and my mac isnt running the best at mo..i actually had a crash yesterday and lost bout 3 hrs work. By the way i owe you a HUGE thanks, i found your Auto save app, that you posted on a previous thread here when searching in my fustrated state afterwards. That is a lifesaver for forgetfull souls like me :-) yeh its the Bounce in place that im having the issues with. it is super easy.....when it produces an audio file with audio in it ;-) yeh i have spoke to them. Dont worry its obviously sonething specific to my set up. Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Greg, Thanks! Wish I'd remembered to use the Auto Save app yesterday :) I'd try out the normal Bounce (File > Bounce) and compare the results... When I have a moment I'll test out bouncing in place tracks relying on sidechained input - but I suspect it won't work because the BiP function works offline (not in realtime). :) Rounik
  • Greg M
    Hi Rounik Oh no, hope you didnt lose too much work? although, i am slightly comforted to know it happens to those much more skilled than I, as well ;-) Anyway, ive upgraded the OSX and repaired permissions and it does seem more stable which is good thanks. Ive tested the bounce on a pad, gated and sidechained to a kick. Bounce in place produces an audio file this time (which it didnt even do last time) but has bypassed the gate effect, odd! File - Bounce (in realtime) does the trick though so ill just do that from now on. I still dont know if its a bug or just something quirky with my set up but either way,problem solved. Thanks for all your help Rounik Greg
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Greg! No, I didn't lose too much - I was just tinkering in the environment on an idea that wasn't going anywhere anyhow... at least it wasn't when Logic crashed ;-) Yes... happens to me occasionally too (I think that makes me officially human :) Normally the thumb and first finger on my left hand are hardwired to press Command-S every minute... so regular in fact I could probably set my clock to it! Back to more serious matters... Repair Permissions is a good thing to do frequently... say every week or before and after installing important new software. The more you do it, the quicker the process seems to take! I imagine that Bounce in Place has issues with realtime processes. I would hazard a guess that behind the scenes this is what happens in Logic when Bouncing in Place: - Solo region. - Bounce to file in offline mode. - Create new audio track. - Add bounced file to new audio track in correct position. As a result because BiP works in offline mode it can't calculate realtime effects like sidechaining and gating... also because these are taking place on other tracks... and BiP only renders the selected region or track. Either way, that's good news & very glad to know it's all working now! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: