macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Crash On Startup
    Hullo. I have Logic 9.1.1 running on Mac Pro ( Quad Intel Xeon ) 4 Gb with an 8 Pre, a Mackie CUPro and a Novation Remote SL....I have had no problems till just now. After launching Logic , the usual start-up details appear....but then the screen flashes and informs me that it crashed.I tried re-booting but to no avail. It was fine late last night though. I'd much appreciate it if there is a way of checking what's up and correcting it as I need to finish things for a deadline next week.Oh, it's OSX 10.5.8 Thanks. I still love Logic though : )
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Crash On Startup
    Hi Logicluvva, Out of interest is your Logic startup action set to open the last project... or a open the default template? If so one of those could be corrupted. Try then finding a different logic project in the Finder and double-clicking on the Logic project file to see if it opens. Next, repair permissions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] And finally, you can try trashing your Logic preferences file: 1. Go to [Home folder]/Library/Preferences/ 2. Move the file "com.apple.logic.pro.plist" to your Desktop. 3. Launch Logic. (Logic will create a new preferences file automatically). Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Thanks, Rounik for the speediness. I don't set it to open a project. It wasn't opening from the Finder either. After Repair Permissions ( which I do regularly due to your recommendation ) , it was still no joy. However..The last recommendation did the job. I am so thankful as it increases understanding without fishing around forever online. That's marvellous to know. Does this particular problem always happen out of the blue ? Or did I do something to cause it ? For any other relative newbies to the inner workings of it all...if it were a corrupted project or template..then how would I have dealt with that ? I take it that it's ok to bin the Moved To Desktop " com.apple.logic.pro.plist " file now hence the 'Trash Preference' term It's eased my mind and that's just joy. Cheers : )
  • logicluvva
    Ooops...spoke too soon.It sort of worked. But then similar and more weird things evolved. I can't open Logic from the Dock as it crashes. I can't launch it from Finder too. I CAN access projects from Finder, at least. I also had a go at resetting Preferences from Logic's file...as well as trashing the Preferences file manually each time. It seems that when I try to change the action upon start-up......various problems occur. If I want it to Ask me what to do...then it appears ok in the menu it offers..and opens up the chosen project....but if I choose to cancel then it crashes. ' Do Nothing'..which was my previous Preference...that now just crashes even before I can act. Open or New...both seem fine unless I cancel...upon which it crashes. Like I said I can access the Projects in The finder...but that is all. I'd like to go straight from the Dock etc. I read about storing a back-up elsewhere...but I don't know how that should be done. Thanks Rounik and sorry about the Monday rush.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Logicluvva, That's odd... 1. Try launching Logic with Core Audio disabled: Hold down the Control key immediately after launching Logic. Choose Disable Core audio. Does it open? 2. Do you have any Digidesign drivers installed? 3. What about other hardware connected? 4. Try disconnecting all midi/audio hardware, restarting and launching Logic. 5. Have you installed anything around the time this issue began? 6. Drag the Logic icon out of the Dock and replace it with the icon from the Finder. 7. Checking: you're running Logic 9.1.1 and OS 10.5.8 with all the latest pro app updates (through Software update)? 8. Do you have the latest drivers for all audio hardware installed? 9. I've written some posts here about backing up a system... but it's going to be better for you to manually copy your important files to an external drive rather than cloning your system now it's playing up... :( 10. Try trashing Logic's control surface preferences file: (In the same location as Logic's Pref's file): com.apple.logic.pro.cs Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Well I checked each item on your list. Disconnected etc. I ended up clearing out some freeware thingies too that were in Preferences. Automap update could have been it..That Automap is still a bit funny sometimes. I had all the drivers updates already done. I trashed the control surface pref too. I don't know exactly what it was but you did the trick. I re-started etc a few times to check and it all seems fine now. I hope this is the last time I need to thank you over this cos I don't want to sound fake. Cheers : )
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Logicluvva, That's great news! Sounds like Automap could well have been the issue... and trashing your control surface pref file could well have helped too! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: