macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tim
    Logic Pro 9 and Mac Pro 8 core - problems...
    I'm running Logic 9 Pro with and 8 Core Mac with 4GB RAM. I'm currently doing a fairly big project (30 tracks) using a lot of plugins (including UAD-2 Duo plugs to about 80% and a 2 instances of Kontack 2) and I'm getting disk slow errors and Audio Engine errors (10011). The HD that I'm working on still has 10GB of 100GB left. What are my options in terms of overcoming these errors? I don't want to change my plugin uses (most are used on aux but there is at least 2 plugs on each insert on each channel - EQ and Compresion). Do I need more RAM? Do I get another HD and put the files on that and work off that? Are there any changes I can make to Logic to make it run better - it's currently running at a 1024 buffer size. Or all of the above? Sorry for the long winded post but its getting frustrating watching the spinning rainbow for a minute before the song starts! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Pro 9 and Mac Pro 8 core...
    Hi Tim 1. More ram will be useful. 2. Another option is to freeze some of the more intensive tracks. 3. Are you running your samples and project from a drive other than your system drive? This can also help. 4. Sounds strange... but try setting your I/O Buffer size to 512. 5. Another question... Logic 9.1.1 in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? 6. What version of OSX? 7. Any other applications running on your Mac? 8. Is Airport on/off? Try switching it off. 9. For any instruments reduce the number of voices to one or two more than needed. e.g. don't have an EXS24 with 60 voices, when you only have 3 notes playing simultaneously... then set it to 5 or 6. 10. Share as many plugins as possible. Send to reverbs on Aux channels rather than to individual reverb fx on different Aux's. 11. Try restarting your Mac and repair permissions to help optimise your system: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Let me know who you get on! Rounik
  • Tim
    Thanks for the reply Rounik. I think I have a lot of updating to do - I currently am running just the standard Logic Studio 9.0 out of the box. The OS X is 10.5 - leopard - I take it it's worth upgrading to 10.6 to take advantage of the 64 bit capabilities? And I'm off to the shop today to buy more RAM! I have been freezing tracks - but still the going is slow. Not being a Mac savvy person - how do I find out what else is running - usually I only have Apogee Maestro in the background as that is a part of the Ensemble package. Airport was on - now its off. I have been restricting just EQ and Compression to the inserts (except for a couple of instances of Amplitube and Kontakt) I only use 2 or 3 of reverb aux channels, e.g., drum plate, vox plate, guitar plate. In terms of running the project - the main hard drive has been split into 3 and I run all the applications on HD1 and the project on HD3. I'll try that repair permission - never done it before so will be interested to see how it improves performance! Thanks again!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim Before buying anything, I'd recommend updating OS 10.5 to 10.5.8 and Logic 9.0 to 9.1.1. This should give you much better performance... as the logic updates not only include bug fixes but will improve performance. Keep Airport on for the time being as I wasn't aware you were still on logic 9.0.0. :) Rounik P.s. For a basic look at what else is running on your system... Look in the Dock. Any apps with a faint blue light under the icon us currently running.
  • Tim
    Thanks Rounik, I'm actually running 10.5.8 but I'll try the Logic upgrade first before splashing out on the RAM. Would 10.6 be worth the upgrade though, in terms of Logic performance? I've heard it allows Logic to run in 64bit therefore having access to more RAM - is this correct?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, I'm using 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) with Logic 9.1.1 and I get pretty good performance. Logic is going through a 64-bit transition - so if the 3rd party plugins you are using are 64-bit compatible then you may well notice the difference... but often, due to some features not being available in 64-bit mode and a few bugs, you may prefer to continue working in 32-bit mode. (You can switch between the two). Take a look at these free videos for more info: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic107[/url] I'd suggest trying out one new thing at a time to help you measure what helps most more easily. Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
  • Tim
    Well. I've upgraded to the latest 9.1.1 and the performance is much better. Noticeably quicker loading times, no disk slow or system overload errors as yet. There is still a hint of sluggishness but very rarely. In regards to Snow Leopard (I have a UAD-2 Duo card) - I just read on the Universal Audio site: "UAD drivers do not currently support running under Snow Leopard in 64-bit kernel mode. UAD cards will show as "Not Found" when launching the UAD Meter & Control Panel or UAD Powered Plug-Ins in 64-bit kernel mode. The workaround for this â until an update is available to support Snow Leopard 64-bit kernel mode â is to boot your system into 32-bit kernel mode by holding down the â3â and â2â number keys on your keyboard when powering up the machine. " This is very disappointing as after watching that video (thanks for that!) I'd love to go 64bit with Snow Leopard. However, would I see much more improvement by increasing my RAM from 4GB to 8GB under 32bit?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, That's great! Logic 9.0.0 was the first version and really had some performance issues and bugs that desperately needed fixing! So, it makes complete sense that the 9.1.1 update (which IMHO is a pretty good update) has done the trick! Well, there's a difference between Snow Leopard running in 32-bit and 64-bit kernel mode. To cut a long story short (avoid much of the technical side!)... Snow Leopard by default boots in 32-bit kernel mode and allows 64-bit apps and 32-bit to run. period. You can, in SL, boot the Logic 9.1.1 application in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode - which is independent to the Snow Leopard Kernel... However, I've just checked and it seems that UAD-2 Duo still don't have 64-bit drivers for Mac!! So although it will work in Logic running in 64-bit mode using the 32-bit audio unit bridge.... this is far, far from ideal! --- You may indeed notice some improvement as Logic can use a maximum of 3.2 GB I believe in 32-bit mode... leaving under a GB for OSX and any other apps you have running - which is not much. Also, do you use the EXS24? The EXS24 can access ram outside of the amount allocated to Logic in 32-bit mode... so it can gobble up another 3.2-4GB... :) Rounik
  • Tim
    I know, I was so disappointed in UA re the driver updates. Snow has been out for some time now - I would of thought they would of been on top of this given the 64bit revolution that appears to be taking place! I don't us EXS24 that much at the moment - mainly the UAD plugs (hence my frustration!) and with the electronic stuff I'm doing I use Nexus2 and Sylenth. I'll probably have more of a use for it soon when I do more electronic stuff - I might have to grab a tutorial on it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Let UAD know! I guess the more people that tell them, the better... and hopefully they'll bring out a 64-bit upgrade/update solution asap. The EXS24 is probably the most efficient sampler around for Logic... So, if it's something you could use then I'd recommend getting the EXS24 tutorial and checking it out. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: