macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nitygua
    might be a bug but...
    Not every time but, plenty of times, I'll record a guitar track, or any audio track and at the beginning of the region there is a very unpleasant click. What I've resorted to doing is backing up the start point by a couple of frames so that I can later use automation to mute the track until the very beginning of the audio. This is a big time waster. Also, these artifacts occur at the end of a region as well. I usually use auto punch for recording audio and I have my buffer size set to 128. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: might be a bug but...
    Hi John, When you're editing your audio regions do you have "Search Zero Point crossing" (or similar wording) selected? If you edit audio so the region begins when the waveform does NOT cross the zero point, you will most probably hear a click. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Nitygua
    I'm sorry I didn't respond to your reply, but I didn't receive an email notifying me that you had. I am still confused though. I did find the edit you were referring to in the sample editor and found that "snap edits to zero crossing" was already checked. I am still getting clicks though. For instance, today I recorded a live bass part then chopped off the last two measures to copy them elsewhere in the arrangement using the alt key and dragging the region. When I put it in place and then played it, there was the click at the beginning. Maybe I'm confused because I don't understand what the "zero point" is...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, No probs. Check that macprovideo.com emails aren't being diverted to your junk/spam folder by accident... Zero point: Open up the Sample Editor and you'll notice that the waveform crosses the middle horizontal line (zero point). When editing audio to avoid clicks and pops you should cut your audio at places where the waveform crosses the zero point line. If you cut/edit it on different parts of the wave form then you'll likely hear pops and clicks. In your situation... I'd simply place a short fade in and out on the region. Another thing... when you zoom in to the beginning of the region can you see where the click is? Thanks Rounik p.s. maybe have clicked on the "UnSubscribe and no longer notify me of replies to this thread" checkbox before submitting your last post? :)
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, I did get email notification this time...:-) There is no visible evidence of the click in the waveform. My issue though is that when I want to punch in and out, for recording, a click is produced. This hasn't always happened and it doesn't happen every time. It does happen frequently though. I can fix most of them with a quick fade as you suggested but this seems like a bug. I should be able to just punch in and out without any weird artifacts being produced. I did get a suggestion from another forum: options/audio/delete all fade files. This seems to have eliminated the clicks at the beginning of a region but not the ones at the punch out point. BTW, I am still using 10.5.8 and I have been holding off on installing Snow Leopard. I think my third party software is now compatible. Do you think installing the new operating system might solve my problem? Thanks, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Well, options/audio/delete all fade files will delete fade files for audio regions... and I guess can help if a fade file has been corrupted... If you want to upload an example project that I can take a look at that might be useful. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that 10.6.4 would solve the issue you're having... and I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bug unless we can reproduce on it wider number of systems... If you don't punch in/out but record over the audio region and create a take folder and create a comp, do you get the same clicks? :) R
  • Nitygua
    Two areas I'm quite unfamiliar with are folders and also the sample editor. I never have worked that way...I am willing to try this method for recording though. I will look for the tutorial on folders. I did look unsuccessfully for a tutorial on the sample editor. I will create a small example project to upload. What's the best way to get it to you. I could upload to my site and send you a link. Thanks, Rounik.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, No need to go into the Sample Editor... it's mainly a destructive editor... although here's a blog post I wrote on how to use it Non-destructively: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/5-nondesctructive-ways-logic-pro-sample-editor[/url] Take Folders and the sampler editor are both in the Logic 101. Take Folders - Videos 129-133. Sample Editor... explored in Chapter 2 and Chapter 11. If you don't mind everyone who visits the forum seeing and possibly downloading the link then you can upload it to your site and post the link in this thread. If you'd prefer prying eyes to be kept out then upload it to your site (or Box.net) and write me a message (with my name in the subject) via: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/support/[/url] and post the link to the project in the message. Best R
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Thanks for uploading the project for me to check out. OK. So, yes, I hear the click at the end of the recording. IMHO this is down to two things. A. You've ended the recording when the tail os the sound is in full flow. B. The waveform does not end on the zero line. If you zoom right in at the end of the region you'll see what I mean: [img]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1046/screenshot20100928at132.png[/img] Try the following: 1. Double-click the audio region to open it in the Sample Editor. 2. Ensure that the Edit > Snap Edits to Zero Crossing is checked. 3. Zoom right in to the end of the region and drag the right edge of the region boundary (blue bar at the bottom of the Editor to approximately where the waveform crosses the zero crossing line. It will snap to the zero crossing automatically. [img]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6084/screenshot20100928at132s.png[/img] Now close the Sample Editor and back in the Arrange area you'll see the region length has been updated. Add a gentle fade out (maybe 3-5 ticks) in the Region Parameters area in the Inspector if you wish. Play back the region (without cycle mode on) and you won't hear any clicks - though it does end abruptly because the tail of the recording was cut off. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Thanks, Rounik. I get it now...it took me awhile. I read your instructions and then watched the tutorial in Chapter 2 on "Search Zero Crossings" and now it makes sense. In my original project, not the one I sent to you, I was recording guitar chords that would swell in volume and crossfade from one chord to the next. Now I see why I had the problem with the clicks, and I also know how to fix this in the future. Thanks, again. John
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: