macProVideo.com
Forums
  • roberto
    Life in 64bit!
    Hi Rounik How's life there? Here I'm implementing my studio with new features. The new Vienna Ensemble Pro and the Vienna Instrument Pro. And using my old G5 as a slave computer (poor boy!).Very interesting. My point is that I now wish/need to go into 64 bit world that I never did before. So I turned MacBook to 64 and Logic 9.1 too. But I've discovered that in this way I'm loosing some Plugin. Is there a way out to this? Than I wonder if here is there anybody using the new VSL toys. I'd like to discuss a few things about them and, well, here I fell more at home. ciao Rounik, stammi bene, e grazie Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Life in 64bit!
    Ciao Roberto! There is no need to boot up your MBP in 64-bit mode. In fact, don't do it!! Only launch Logic in 64-bit mode. That is enough. Which plugins are you unable to access? Unfortunately, I don't use the VSL toys :( - but feel free to discuss them here and I'll see what I can find out! :) R
  • roberto
    Ciao Rounik Very interesting! So...in the MacBook it's running Snow Leopard (wich I will let at 32 bit than). In the G5 it's running Leopard that (...the tecnician said) it goes at 64 bit. Shall I change it to 32? I will launch Logic in 64 mode on the MacBook and and we'll see. About the plugins let me experiment a few things. I still have to understand a few things in life! See you soon... roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey My Friend! Well, there's no need to boot up your MBP in 64-bit Kernel mode because some of the applications on your Mac run in 32-bit mode.... but booting in normal 32-bit mode will still allow you to run 64 bit applications just fine. Your G5 (non-intel) Mac running 10.5 Leopard cannot run in 64-bit mode. You need to be using Snow Leopard to take advantage of 64-bit computing... and sadly, Snow Leopard is only intel mac compatible... So to reiterate, although the G5 quads and duos have 64-bit hardware they will not run any applications on your Mac in 64-bit mode. Hope that makes some sense :) Rounik
  • roberto
    Hi Rounik You are very clear, only I guess I've get before some confused informations. Where and how can I see (with my eyes) the "bit mode" (32 03 64) of the G5 and MBP? Just to learn it. And, not in topic but..., in the MBP I kept installed 3 versions of Logic (8; 9.02, and 9.1). It seems to me a waste of memory in the HD. How about keeping only the last version? And how to uninstall the other two, with the Logic Nodes as well? Just trash them? More, having to install again Logic in the G5 (Leopard) we have had problems because, at a certain point, he (he, she, it?) says that the support (DVD) was somehow broken (it's actually perfect). We don't know what that means but it's a pity to throw away a perfect Logic 8. In case, could I install Logic 9?. I don't know at which point is the old discussion... Sorry for so many questions... Your italian friend Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Roberto, Snow Leopard by default boots up with the 32-bit kernel... unless you changed anything specific while rebooting your MBP, it will be in 32-bit kernel mode... The G5 cannot switch into 64-bit mode. It needs Snow Leopard and an Intel processor to do this. You cannot install Snow Leopard on a G5 and a G5 has a PPC (pre-Intel) processor. To launch Logic in 64-bit mode: - Open the Applications folder. - Select Logic Pro.app - Command-I (to Get Info) - Deselect "Open in 32-bit mode" - Launch Logic! Ah yes... Look in your Applications folder and you'll see multiple versions of the Logic Pro application. Now, when you perform an update, Logic will rename and save the previous version to your Applications folder. It will always rename it with the version number as a suffix. e.g. Logic 8.02 Logic 9.0.2 Logic 9.1.0 The most up to date (current) version will ALWAYS be named simply: Logic Pro If you want to you can delete the older versions - or back them up. It may be useful if there is a bug in a current version which did not appear in a previous version... But, personally, I have found Logic 9.1.1 to be far and away the most stable and bug-free since 9.0.0. You may be able to get a replacement disc from Apple for Logic 8.... which disc is it which is said to be broken? Yes, you can install Logic 9 on your G5. It is NOT officially supported... but you can install and update Logic up to 9.0.2 on non-intel based Macs. Logic 9.1.x and above enable 64-bit mode which is not be compatible with your G5 unfortunately. Hope that helps... from your Human friend ;-) Rounik
  • roberto
    Hi my Human friend (such a clever statement!) ...More and more clear. Thanks. So I'll delete at least Logic 8 from MBP. I was asking you if it's enough to trash it or if there is some procedure to delete all more or less hidden files. The same regard to Logic Node. Thanks for your time. me, again.
  • Rounik Admin
    hee hee :) There shouldn't be any other hidden files worth deleting in regards to Logic... It's only the versions of Mainstage, Logic Node and Logic Pro. btw, if you decide to run Logic 9.0.2 on your G5, keep Logic 9.0.2 on your MBP. It might be useful - especially in regards to Logic Node. :) From you know who!
  • roberto
    Ok my captain I'll do that! ...............................
  • Rounik Admin
    Anytime my friend! And of course let me know how you get on. :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: