macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Lowering ALL mixer faders?
    Rounik, the other day you mentioned that when your outputs 1-2 start to clip you often just swipe select ALL your faders in the mixer and lower them. You said that works fine for you. My only question is... what if you have plugins on some of those strips that DEPEND on the volume level. eg- any plugin with a threshold setting (compressor, expander, noise gate etc..)? Won't lowering ALL your faders substantially alter your mix? thanks!
  • Hamish H
    Re: Lowering ALL mixer faders?
    Hi there I remember this from this thread - https://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=25880&sid=#25904 The plugins come before the fader. So a compressor judges its threshold based on the amplitude of the original audio file. The fader adjusts the output volume of the channel after everything else has been applied. So no problemo!
  • coFane
    Brilliant! I was told that lowering the faders DOES effect the threshold settings on the fader etc... however, after reading your article thread and trying to duplicate the same thing in Logic It looks like the compresser setting does stay the same even with a lower fader. Thanks again!
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, Hamish is right on the money! :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Rounik, I should have never doubted you! Someone recently told me not to lower all the faders because it WOULD alter any plugin that has a volume threshold setting. So, I've been using your technique of just lowering all the faders simultaneously when the output clips and it's super easy (and really doesn't need to be done too often). One question I have though is: what if I'm deep into a mix and I've bussed certain elements into Aux channels? eg- if I create a "percussion" aux channel that is receiving ALL my snares, hats etc and compressing them as a whole. If my outputs start clipping down the road how do I deal with these aux channels? I'm assuming that the threshold setting of a compressor on an aux strip indeed WILL be affected by how high the faders are on the respective channels that are being bussed into it... Am I wrong? Thanks for the help!
  • Rounik Admin
    No problemo my friend! I think you're asking all the right questions... just be careful of whose answers you listen to ;-) Some answers are very very well intentioned - but if you're in doubt at my level of answers then asking Steve H is a good move!! His advice is gold. So back to your question. How are you sending to the Aux channels? Pre-Fader/Post-Pan/Post-Fader? It's an important distinction. (Click and hold on the Send to select the "way". You really can just lower the fader on the respective Aux Channels though. :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Cool! What if I'm actully OUTPUTTING several tracks onto one Aux Channel though?
  • Rounik Admin
    you can lower the faders / Send levels going to the Aux channel or lower the fader of the Aux Channel - depends on your mix :)
  • coFane
    I see. Let's assume three things: 1) I have a project with 30 tracks. 5 of the tracks in my mix are being outputted to aux 1. Aux 1 is the only aux strip in my entire mix. 2) Aux 1 is being compressed heavily. I like the balance of all 5 signals going into to aux 1 and the color that the compressor is creating on all its 5 signals collectively. 3) My outputs start clipping and I want to bring all the levels in my project down (without altering the color and balance of my mix). When I pull all my faders down I should take caution NOT to pull down any of the 5 faders that are being outputted to aux 1 correct? Otherwise my mix won't be the same... Instead, I should just swipe select 25 of my tracks plus my aux 1 (26 tracks total) and only bring those levels down? Hope that makes sense...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi CoFane, OK. I see what you're asking. but... 1) I tend to use the sends (pre fader) for this purpose and so pulling all the faders down works great. 2) Cool. 3) Q: Why / How do your outputs suddenly begin clipping? Something must've changed in your mix for this to happen. Yes, in this case I would pull down all faders bar the 5 going to Aux 1 and pull down the Aux 1 fader instead. Though at some point you may want to consider mixing in stems... 1. Route different sections of your track to Auxs. e.g. 5 Drum tracks to Aux 1 4 gtrs to Aux 2 Keys and pianos to Aux 3 lead and background vox to Aux 4. Keep the Aux's free of plugins. Mix the levels as desired to the Aux's as desired. Now you can send sections to another Aux for further processing etc... but you might find it easier to refine global levels that way... in my opinion it's down to finding a workflow that works best for you and of course at the end of day gives you the most satisfying and best sonic results for your music. :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: