macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Managing SENDS
    I've never used sends too much because I've always felt that they are hard to manage. eg- if I have a mix that sounds perfectly balanced but I want to add reverb to a piano track (without making the piano LOUDER) using a sends reverb won't help me because the more piano signal I *send* to an aux strip (with reverb on it) the more I'm actually *increasing* the piano LEVEL itself, hence there is more piano signal in my mix and now adjustments have to be made to attenuate the signal... Isn't this true? How then can I make sense of effectively using sends? Thanks!
  • Hamish H
    Re: Managing SENDS
    Hi Cofane Sends are great! For more reasons than just reverb, eg if you want to use parallel compression I can understand that having an extra track to think about can be a put off, but its not too different than having the reverb on the track in the first place - when the reveb is on a channel strip you have to spend time adjusting the wet/dry signal to achieve the 'perfect balance' in the first place right? So all you need to do instead is start thinking of the channel strip and the aux send as two parts of one bigger patch. A mix isn't finished until you add effects anyway, so personally I wouldn't think that the balance was perfect in the first place until I had all the effects on. I'm sure Rounik will be able to come up with a few more good reasons why sends are great - I thnik latency has something to do with it too, and CPU usage Cheers H
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Managing SENDS
    Agree with Hamish... 100% - mixing levels needs to take in to consideration effects. A couple of points to contribute: 1. Sending to a reverb simply means you can adjust the amount you send (Option-click the send amount knob to send standard amount). When placing a reverb directly on the channel strip, you'll need to open the reverb plugin and choose the amount of dray and wet signal anyway. So on the Aux with reverb set the reverb to 100% wet and adjust the amount to send and lower the original channel strips levels accordingly. 2. To quickly navigate to the Aux with the Bus input from a send in Mixer: Double click on the Send slot. e.g. An Audio Channel strip sending to Bus 1, Bus 3 and Bus 5... Double-click on the Bus 1 slot and the Aux with Bus 1 input will be automatically selected. Can make it easier to quickly find the relevant Aux channels. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: