macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Fafyjyo
    MIDI input from different midi devices
    Hi All, here is my problem: I have several different Midi controllers like keyboards, midi-guitar and MaxMSP, each using several midi channels and I want to record them at once on different instruments in Logic. How can I choose the proper midi device for each track ? Sounds easy but I am not able to find a setting which enables me to do so. like track 1 = midisport a track 2 = midisport b track 3 = axon track 4 = from MaxMSP any hints ? thanks a lot h
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MIDI input from different midi...
    Hi xm33 To use different MIDI controllers on different tracks, try the following: 1. Set a different MIDI channel for each controller. You'll need to refer to the manual for each controller to do this. 2. Go to: Settings > Recording, and under MIDI, select 'Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording'. 3. Next, select a soft inst track inthe Arrange area. In the track parameters area in the Inspector you can set the MIDI channel that track will be triggered by. 4. Repeat step 3. for all tracks as required. 5. Cluck on the 'R' record enable button on each track header to arm it and you should be good to go! Note: remember to turn off 'Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording' when you're done. Cheers Rounik
  • Fafyjyo
    Hey Rounik, thanks for your reply. It's not exactly what I wanna do. I want to record a MIDI Band live using several Software-Instruments in Logic at once. Some of these are sending on a few Midi channels, like the guitar (6 ch.), MaxMSP (5ch.) etc. So I need dedicated Midi-Device-Ports. That should be possible, no ?????? thanks xm
  • Fafyjyo
    By the way, it is easy to do in LIVE. There's just a list of all Midi-Input-Devices, select the proper device from it and set the channel. That's it. But LIVE doesn't have the instruments Logic has. more hints very welcome xm
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi xm33 Did you try the method above... it will work for what you need... unless, of course, I'm not following... :) R
  • Fafyjyo
    Hi Rounik, I do understand what you are saying. The points is: I have more than 16 midi channels (sending to Logic). With your method I am able to address 16 channels, right. Not enough .... sorry tx xm PS Environment ? There are all the inputs present, but I couldn't find a way to address a certain input to a certain software instrument.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi xm In general yes Logic is limited to receiving and transmiting MIDI data in midi ch's 1 - 16. However, if you can set up more than one track to receive from the same channel... Have you checked out the clicks and ports layer in the environment? In the physical object do you see the names if your midi devices? If not set them up in Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities/) Also, Mainstage provides a really easy way to assign multiple MIDI devices to different tracks. :)
  • Fafyjyo
    Hi Rounik, yeah I checked all the possibilities you mentioned (I am a macPROvideo customer for years ;-). See PS in my last post. And I know that it is easy to assign several MIDI devices in Mainstage. But that doesn't help if you want to record them. As far as I remember it was possible in Logic 7 as it is today in LIVE eg. When did they lose this very common function ???? I used Logic for several big shows in order to run whole performances from a central software, but if this basic functionality (for a MIDI sequenzer) is gone I have to change the software. Not good, cause I know Logic quite well and I like the EXS24 very much. best xm PS still, I can't believe it's not possible (anymore?)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey xm I've only got one midi device to hand right now... So it's tough to test this out for you... In the Environment did you try dragging the cable from the MIDI devices output direct to a software instrument channel strip? What process did you use on L7 to address mote than 16 MIDI channels? We might well be able to make thus work... Thanks Rounik
  • Fafyjyo
    Hi Rounik, thanks for your reply again. Last time I've tried your last proposal I was very much under pressure. In the middle of a setup for a show, network problems, tons of audio problems etc. And it didn't work. But now much more relaxed it worked immediately. Sorry for the rumor and thanks best xm PS. L7 I don't know exactly how I did it, the show is right now in Australia and I do not have L7 installed here anymore.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: