macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    Sends Reverbs and Panning
    What I do: I have a violin loaded into Kontakt. The channel goes out into bus/aux #2 and from there to output 1-2. I also send the channel to a reverb on bus #3 and change the send to pre-fader so that I can control the mix (this is the trick the guy from VSL came up with). My issue is panning. Now I have 1. panning of the channel itself. 2. panning of the reveb bus. They both react differently: the instrument can be panned to any direction, but since the reverb gets the signal pre-fader, the reverb's panning is centered, unless I change it. This forced me to pan two channels instead of one, but it's not the most serious problem. What if I want another instrument to be sent into the same reverb but I wan it panned to a different angle? Please advise ;) Thnks, B
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sends Reverbs and Panning
    Hey Ben, Well what I would normally do is adjust the balance on both the inst and the Bus if I want them to be "panned" the same. btw, in Logic, on stereo channels, it's not a true pan knob, it's a Balance knob. IThe knob is true pan on mono channels. Use the Gain plugin's Balance on the Inst track with Post Fader to easily adjust both "pans" simultaneously... otherwise I'd simply set the inst to e.g. -24 and the Aux to -24 on pre-fader. HTH Rounik
  • Ben
    Yes, indeed, balance. I stand corrected. Ultimately, I would like the reverb to be natural. Meaning, I want the signal to go into it pre-fader, BUT post pan/balance. Is there a way to do that? I like to be able to play with the mix of the reverb, so I can go -24db on the inst, since that will give me 100% rev. which beats the purpose of using the pre-fader anyway..... I think I'm missing something here. Please elaborate on this.
  • Rounik Admin
    Try placing the Gain plugin as the last insert plugin in your effect chain on the Inst channel. Now play with the balance there (and not on the channel strip). Is this what you were looking to achieve? Let me know.
  • Ben
    It sounds good! So I'm guessing the plugins are pre-send?? You actually solved two problems for me. The volume and balance! Thanks Rounik!!
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs Ben! Yes, the signal flow in Logic is important to unravel: Signal from track/(or input slot of Soft Inst tracks) --> Channel strip ---> Starts at top insert slot ---> Goes down the insert slots ---> Fader ---> Balance/pan. (Sends as you now know can be set to send the signal before or after fader and pan, but will always send the signal AFTER it's passed through the insert slots). HTH Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: