macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Chopping up chords in Piano Roll
    Hi. I'm trying to learn more and more about the tools in Logic and their many tricks. I'd like to chop up a pad into 8th notes.Or any multiple divisions. I have a simple ES2 chord progression, with each chord lasting a bar in duration. I've been doing it the long way but that can't be right. What is the speediest way of chopping these midi events in the Piano Roll ? It's these small details that add up. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Chopping up chords in Piano Ro...
    Hey Logicluvva, It sounds like you've not been checking out our blog... ;-) [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/quick-tip-scissor-tool-logic[/url] This post (amongst many other tips) shows how to multiple divide using the scissor tool... although the example shows it being used on an audio region, it works on MIDI regions too. However, I can't get it working on MIDI Events in the Piano Roll in L9.1.1 which is a shame... (seems to be a bug) Basically, hold down the Option key while using the scissors tool.... Another way is to set key commands for: - Forward by Division Value - Rewind by Division Value - Split Select only the note events you wish to split and use the Forward by division to move the playhead as desired and then use the Split key command. With a bit of practice this can be a really quick process! :)
  • logicluvva
    Thank you. I had been trying to use the scissors to do that in the Piano Roll. Specifically regarding the use of the region-scissors-divides in the Piano Roll..there's no mention of it in the manual, I'm not 100% sure that it was there in Logic 8..I hazily remember it not working then too. Another bug is in Ultrabeat. When swapping or copying voices....it crashes when there is a sample being used in Osc 2...but NOT on sounds that are non-sample based, for some reason. I use Battery a lot but I really would want to use Ultrabeat if it wasn't so buggy.Just cos I have learnt a lot about it now. Thanks for the key command tips too. I'm at the phase where Key Commands are becoming more and more varied. Cheers , as always Rounik.
  • Rounik Admin
    Actually swapping and copying voices in UB when samples are used in OSC2 works absolutely fine for me here. Use this feature a fair bit in Logic 9.1.1 on OS 10.6.4. Might be a system specific issue... but it's not a general bug.... Yes, Logic's flexibility with key commands is genius! It's amazing how quickly you can get through mundane tasks.... but remembering all your kc's is another thing ;-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Well.... I take back what I said... there is most definitely some buggy behaviour here when copy and pasting between voices in UB.... It only crashes for me (as you said) when NOT using the Default kit and when swapping the clipboard on the same voice that I had copied from... Nice spot mate! Now, we should send a feedback report to Apple on this... Hopefully, it'll get fixed in the next update. :)
  • logicluvva
    I have sent a few this week ! Thanks again for the way you convey everything, Rounik. That's an art. I'm going to keep the faith with Ultrabeat too. One day it will work perfectly. : )
  • Rounik Admin
    you're very kind... You're not going to believe this... call it fate... The Logic 9.1.2 update has just been released!! Here are the lovely detailed release notes: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2565[/url] ... and they mention a fix for the UB voice copying issue!! I haven't even downloaded it yet to try it out... [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1014[/url] I love Logic update times :)
  • logicluvva
    Hahaha.. Quality !
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: