macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Fortsy
    Tempo Change/ Beat Matching
    I am trying to make a 30 minute house mix on logic, i don't know how to change the tempo of one song to match the others so it stays on beat. do i need to adjust regions too? if so how do i do that? im new to all of this. Can someone walk me through step by step on how to do this. thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Tempo Change/ Beat Matching
    Hi Tempo Change/Beat Matching (interesting name & welcome to the forums ;) There are a few ways to do this... Let me know the following and I'll be able to give you some pointers: 1. Do you know the bpm for each track already? 2. Are you using Logic 8 or 9? 3. I think you have the Logic 9 101 tutorial? Check out section 4 on Time Stretching (videos 42-52). If you still need some more help do let me know! Cheers Rounik
  • Fortsy
    haha i totally screwed my name up on here, sorry! I am using logic 9, and i do know the two tracks bpm. One of them is 125, the other 127. However, there will be multiple tracks in this mix ranging from 125-127.
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs.. click on the 'Forum Settings' link on the right of this page to change your forum name (alias). Well, there's a few ways to do this... You might like to load each track into the Apple Loops Utility (in your Applications/Utility/ folder) Then you can specify the original tempo of the track and save it as an apple loop. It will be added to your Loops Browser and will adjust to the tempo of your project... Or... First decide what you want the tempo of your mix to be and set the project to that tempo. e.g. 125. Now take the 127 bpm region - (make you sure you have a backup of the original first) and double-click it to open it in the Sample Editor. Choose Factory > Time and Pitch Machine Set the original tempo (127bpm) and the destination tempo (125 bpm). The Universal algorithm usually works well for me - but try some out... Now remember that functions like these destructively alter the original audio file... so make sure to Create a backup or save a copy as from the Sample Editor's Audio File menu before doing any processing on the file. Cheers R
  • Fortsy
    Amazing, i just glanced at section 4 of 101. One more question should complete the whole understanding. In the section it counts the beats of the audio loop that they uploaded onto the arrange (4 bars). Then set regions to locators so that it plays with its range. I totally get that, although, is there a way to depict how many bars an audio file is without counting (for simplicity, I don't really want to count bars for 6 minutes long for one audio track), then count again for another audio track etc... Thanks a ton!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Fortsy :) Remember that matching the region to the project tempo is completely different from matching the project tempo to the region... (Just to make sure you are aware of that). Go through the section 04 carefully to pick up all the tips you need. I am used to cutting out a 4 bar region of an audio file and using that to set the tempo of the project... it becomes easier with practice... but an easier way: You can use the "Beat Detection" command to get Logic to automatically figure out the tempo of the project and change it to match the tempo of the region: Options > Tempo > Adjust Tempo using Beat Detection Let me know if you need any help at all :) Rounik
  • Fortsy
    haha sweetness! I changed both tracks so they are running at 125 bpm. The first track I had to use flex time on so that there were 4 beats to every bar. After i did that, the other tracks followed automatically as soon as i changed the bpm. is this the correct way of doing it? or was that sort of the long way out? cheers!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey, glad to hear it. There are few different methods and your flex method sounds like a good way too. If it works that's cool... explore the other ways whenever you have the time and inclination. :) Rounik
  • drumchile
    Hi I'm somewhat in the same situation at the moment and i can't decide what's best to do. Started an unexpected project for a band and we recorded drums and guitar rough tracks. I thought we were just messing around so i didn't wear phones to hear the click to keep up. What ended up happening is i have a guitarist, who also is somewhat my boss in a gig i NEED say hey cool just use those rhythm tracks. So everything was recorded soo far off the grid. Well it just fluctuates too much and i really want to get everything SOMEWHAT on the grid. Now i have rhythm guitar, vocals (which i can deal with editing) and a lead but none of it is tight. I tried to put the rhythm guitar into flex mode and quantize and it was just waayyyyyyy off. I's say the tempo probably fluctuates within 85-88 bpm at most. Im using logic 9. Any suggestions? Been racking my mind. Watched all the vids for logic 9 literally. Sorry for half asleep explanation.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi drumchile, Sounds like a difficult position to be in. flex will work a bit - if you want to conform the performance to Logic's Grid... Beat mapping, looks to be the best you can do for a fluctuating tempo recording... then perhaps use Flex time to straighten it out a bit... I would beat map or tell the guitarist that the rhythm tracks are not ideal to use. ... wish you had seen the visual metronome Logic TNT3 tutorial first ;-) Hope this helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: