macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    I ordered a new 8 Core Mac Pro
    I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new Mac Pro 8 core system. I have Logic 8 running on my old G5 system. I had upgraded from Logic 8 from Logic 7 ( still using the dongle ). Do I need to install both Logic Pro 7 and then do the upgrade install of Logic Pro 8 on the new machine? will I still need the dongle? Also, I read that I can have 2 installs of Logic at the same time with just the one license Registration. That would be cool. I know I have a lot of work to do. I have a lot of 3rd party plugins too. Any words of advice would be appreciated. Thanx, Rob P.S. The system will be an 8 core 2.26 Ghz Nehalem. I think that will be enough processing power for at least a few years.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: I ordered a new 8 Core Mac Pro...
    Hey Rob! Congrats on your new 8 core :) I'd recommend upgrading to Logic 9 to really take advantage of the multi-core processor and extra ram... But either way, you'll need either the dongle or the old serial no. for L7 when installing. After you've installed L8/L9 then no need for the dongle - but keep it in a safe place in case you'll need it for upgrading in the future. Yes, according to the Logic 8/9 license agreement you are allowed to install Logic on two machines (I believe they classify that as one laptop and one desktop)... you won't be able to use both simultaneously if they are on the same network. 3rd party plugins... well, you'll need to pay a visit to each site and find out if the intel versions of these plugins are free for existing users or require a paid for upgrade. I'd recommend going step-by-step... give yourself a good couple of days, a few coffee's/teas to sit down with your system and marvel at it's power and gently go through and install all your software one by one. :) R
  • Vivisuy
    Thanx, so I install Logic 8 on the new system andit will prompt for the serial # or I can have the dongle connected? Will it install either way? One or the other? I think I'm going to wait on Logic 9 until some key software updates to 64 bit. ( Waves, Universal audio). I can get by with the ram limit for a while. The processing power is the big deal now. I am looking forward to Logic 9 within 2 or 3 months. It has some great features. I need to research the 64 bit bridge performance with 3rd party software too. Thanx, Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rob, That's right... it will ask for the previous versions Serial no. if the dongle is not connected. So you can choose either method. Yes, 32-bit audio unit bridge seems to have some teething issues when running Logic in 64-bit mode, but all in all these should be a thing of the past once all 3rd party developers finally make the transition to 64-bit for all their plugins. :)
  • Vivisuy
    Will I need to run Snow Leopard in 32 bit mode to run 32 bit plug-ins?
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes... In fact there's no need (or reason) to boot Snow Leopard into 64-bit kernel mode. SL in "default" mode still runs 64-bit applications just fine. I don't know of anyone that boots SL in 64-bit only mode to run Logic... it's not advisable. Also important to remember that only Logic 9.1.x can run in 64-bit mode. :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: