macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Transpose to another mode auto...
    Hey Christopher, Sharing Logic Environments is one of my favourite past times ;-) Might be a couple of days before we have contact with the creator of the 'Scale Remapper' Environment... hang in there :) Best Rounik
  • Vinomuu
    Hello, I've added my Scale Remmapper macro to the environmnent sharing thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=22544&sid=30#29119[/url] Regards, J. PS: It works in real time, on notes from your MIDI keyboard (not regions).
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks again Jordito! Very cool of you to post it here. Currently the only way I tried to scale remap a pre recorded region is to route that region's channel strip to the Scale Remapper (SR) and route the SR's output to the Sequencer Input and record it in realtime to a new SI track. It works great, but I haven't had time to play with it in a real-world project yet... Christian, does this environment help? :) Rounik
  • Vimadeu
    Well this helps in the sense that I now know my wish is reasonable. But what I had in mind was a tool that I could apply to already recorded midi data, to different tracks with different modal settings simultaneously. And why not imagine an unlimited amount of scales and modes ready to be selected on a menu list? This could lead to a real polymodal compositon device that would add much to Logic. But I don't have the know how to build such a device so I need feed back from you people! I was also wondering how I could get into the Scale remapper innards to understand it's setup? I hope this will inspire some of you! Christopher
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Christopher, The Macro (grouped collection of Environment objects) Jordito has kindly uploaded is "protected". Normally you'd double-click inside an area of a Macro it allows you to unpack it and take a look at all the objects, their parameters and cables inside. Because the Chord Memorizer is a real-time object, it can only transform note date from one selected scale (or note) to another when the data passes through it while Logic's Transport is playing. Here's what I'd do, using Jordito's Scale Remapper, to apply it an existing MIDI region on a track: 1. Select the Steinway Piano track and choose Track > New with Duplicate 2. Open a New Environment window: Window > Environment 3. Navigate to the Mixer layer. Option-Click on the output for the Steinway Piano Channel Strip (triangle in top right of the channel strip). Choose: Scale Remapper > On/Off You can close the Environment window. 4. Make the changes in the Scale Remapper and Select the Duplicated Steinway Piano track and hit Record. Hope this works for you :) Rounik
  • Vinomuu
    [quote:]Here's what I'd do, using Jordito's Scale Remapper, to apply it an existing MIDI region on a track: 1. Select the Steinway Piano track and choose Track > New with Duplicate 2. Open a New Environment window: Window > Environment 3. Navigate to the Mixer layer. Option-Click on the output for the Steinway Piano Channel Strip (triangle in top right of the channel strip). Choose: Scale Remapper > On/Off You can close the Environment window. 4. Make the changes in the Scale Remapper and Select the Duplicated Steinway Piano track and hit Record.[/quote] Ok, I should probably reply to this one, even if I'm on holidays. The way it is programmed, taking a typical 7-note scale as an example as those are probably the most common, those chord memorizers inside the macro will take notes from the C major scale and remap them to a certain scale. Again seven notes...coming from white keys. Any other note outside the C major scale will be ignored. The black keys are "unmapped" by designed. So If you do what Rounik has suggested here, and your region has notes which are not part of the C major scale, those notes will be ignored. I thought that was clear from the description of the scale remapper in the thread where it is posted. @Christopher To program something more flexible like you want, it's going to take quite a bit more effort, and doing it with chord memorizers alone won't give you what you want, I don't think. The scale remapper is my first environment "project" and therefore it is quite simple. At its core are the chord memorizers in combination with a transformer object for transposing the output of the memorizers (again, mentioned in the original description). You should spend some time with the environment objects reference section in the manual to understand what the different objects are capable of. Regards, J.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jordito, Thanks for replying whilst on holiday! Yes, you're quite right.... notes not part of the scale are ignored. @ Christopher, The Logic TNT 1, 2 and 3 series are also wonderful resources that will help to demystify the Environment and more importantly help you get creative in Logic's Environment... Jordito is right... in order to make something that does what you want offline (not in realtime) is a a more time consuming task... Best Rounik
  • Vimadeu
    Thanks again for your time. I have been sifting through TNT1&2&3 and I do have a better understanding of the environment now. But I'm not a computer whiz! I place my faith in other people who are much more inclined in that matter than myself. Ideas spring from interaction. Any other ideas on how to realize my dream machine? Christopher
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Christopher, I completely agree... sharing environments is the way to go! As you know, Logic's Environment is a wonderful place - but it's not always the easiest or least time consuming route to take. I believe Ableton Live has an easier way to implement user scales... though that's also in realtime I'm guessing... What about if you create a new track in the Arrange area, reassign it to the Scale Remapper, place the MIDI region on that track... Connect an output from the Scale Remapper to the Software Instrument track and play it back? Off the top of my head this should playback the existing MIDI regions rescaled but still in realtime. At the moment these are the ideas I have... but give it some time. :)
  • Rounik Admin
    oops... I cut off my previous post at the end there... "give it time, try it for yourself... refer back to the TNT videos and the manual... and be prepared to get your hands dirty in the environment!... It's very satisfying when you start creating cool environments... set aside some time to do this and do share your results! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: