macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pokatiu
    Gate
    hi everyone! first of all let me say thanks once again to Steve H for sharing their knowledges. I sincerely respect you all for sharing the outpouring of years and years of work on music. and... Steve I love your voice man! It' s meditative - i am serious. anway.. let' s get to the topic today i was fooling around on the net and on focusrite website I ' ve read this: MULTI-MODES ENABLE CREATIVE GATING TECHNIQUES The Gate can operate as a stereo gate and, in different dual mono modes, one signal can be used to trigger the gate of another; ideal for tightening up a bass line, for example. ... well - by reading this i understood i am a totally ignorant about Gating and its full potential... Does anyone can tell me more about this? glad to be here!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Gate
    Ciao! Ahhh yes, the joys of gating.... or "side chaining"! We've lots on the basics of side chaining and the more creative ways to side chain too... Check out: Videos: 20, 27-31, 50 & 51 in Logic 406: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic406[/url] Videos 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, in Logic TNT1: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicTipsAndTricks[/url] Videos 14, 15 in Logic 404: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9404[/url] I'm sure it crops up in more tutorials too! Hope this helps :) Rounik
  • Pokatiu
    yes it does) I usually sidechain with compressors , i definetely gotta experiment with gates tks Rou
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, it's cool sidechaining/gating... I love this simple but effective technique: - Setup two tracks. Let's say, it's an audio kick track (Audio 1) you want to act as the trigger for the gate effect and an ES2 synth on a SI (software instrument) track. - Copy the kick track throughout the arrangement. - Insert a Noise Gate on the ES2's track. Set the Sidechain to Audio 1 (kick track). - Hit Play in Logic and adjust the Noise Gate's threshold to determine the level at which the synth is triggered by the kick. Great fun... but yeah.... the videos I linked to highlight some cooler tricks :) Rounik
  • Pokatiu
    so you should have like a rhytmic noise right? ill try that later today tks m8!
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup, rhythmic parts work great. For example a percussion sound like a closed hat would be good because it has a quick attack and release and short sustain... but it all depends on the type of music and gated effect you're after ;-) Let us know how you get on. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: